1985 GT Convertible (early Nov '84 build). My steering rack is leaking from the passenger side inner tie rod seal. I am debating finding someone locally to rebuild it or go with a parts store rebuild. NPD sells the racks rebuilt by Cardone, which seems to be the same units sold everywhere.

My question stems from previous experience with this...the original rack was replaced about 15 years ago. My friend at the time worked at Pep Boys, so he pulled the "listed" rack from the shelf. But when installing it, my car had 1 piece bushings with the giant bolt, but the 1985 rack took two piece bushings.

He ended up getting a 1984 rack off the shelf, which used the 1 piece design bushing and installed that. (On a side note, I regret now giving up my original rack.)

So can a 2-piece bushing rack be installed in place of my 1-piece bushing rack or are the K-members different?
Are there differences between them other than the mounting -- a GT rack is a GT rack regardless of the bushing it takes?
Where can I find the identification label on these racks?

Anyone have recommendations for a rebuilder of these racks if I just pulled mine to get it rebuilt? I'm in south Florida.