Close

Default Steering Rack Identification and Fitment Questions

1985 GT Convertible (early Nov '84 build). My steering rack is leaking from the passenger side inner tie rod seal. I am debating finding someone locally to rebuild it or go with a parts store rebuild. NPD sells the racks rebuilt by Cardone, which seems to be the same units sold everywhere.

My question stems from previous experience with this...the original rack was replaced about 15 years ago. My friend at the time worked at Pep Boys, so he pulled the "listed" rack from the shelf. But when installing it, my car had 1 piece bushings with the giant bolt, but the 1985 rack took two piece bushings.

He ended up getting a 1984 rack off the shelf, which used the 1 piece design bushing and installed that. (On a side note, I regret now giving up my original rack.)

So can a 2-piece bushing rack be installed in place of my 1-piece bushing rack or are the K-members different?
    Are there differences between them other than the mounting -- a GT rack is a GT rack regardless of the bushing it takes?
    Where can I find the identification label on these racks?

Anyone have recommendations for a rebuilder of these racks if I just pulled mine to get it rebuilt? I'm in south Florida.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

I just replaced my 83gt rack with 1 from Napa online, delivered the next day and came with 1 piece bushings already installed. It was like $219 with an $90ish core return. Had it installed in a day by myself. Took the core to my local Napa and got my core charge return. I’m unsure of the bushings question you asked but if you go my route it’s unnecessary.

The rack or K-member doesn't care what bushings you use.

To use the later 2-piece bushings, you also need the later stepped inner sleeve and the smaller-diameter bolts.

If you want to keep the 1-piece bushings, save the old inner flanged sleeves from the old rack and buy replacement bushings (rubber or poly). I used poly 1-piece with the stock inner sleeves and big bolts on my '85 LTS.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Ok great thanks. The GT racks are all the same, and the bushings are interchangeable with the correct inner sleeves and bolts.

The two piece bushings seem so much more prevalent.

Well, you do need the inner sleeves and bolts to make them work. So keep that in mind when getting parts together.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Will do. In your experience, are the Cardone rebuilds good quality? Is there a better source for rebuilt racks?

It's been so long since I had one redone, I wouldn't have a good recommendation there.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The last Cardone unit i bought 2015 has been perfect. Sources for parts mix to match were AZ, advance, oreally, npd.
    Changed the rack, outer tie rods, hoses, pump, so everything matched and to reset whole parts combo age to 'zero'.
    35k never has whined nothing has leaked. Added an inline ps filter.
    Is a retrofit in my 79 Cobra, since replacement 1979 TRW racks are a pita to source or have rebuilt.
    Decided to go with more common mid 80's GT sport rack parts. Total cost for parts was around 200.00. No core was turned in.

Duralost 6439/22207 15:1 sport rack, Duralast 6199 pump (AZ)
    Master Pro PPS 71180 21-2194 ps pressure hose (pump to rack oreally)
    Master Pro PPS 71116 ps return hose (rack to cooler oreally)
    NPD McQuay-Norris M-3A130-A/ES2128 outer tie rod ends (NPD)
    NPD F3A713-2 3/8" id ps return hose 2' (cooler to pump NPD)
    Cardone Magna-Pure 20-0038F ps filter (advance)
    Type F ps fluid.

Cannot remember which type bushings were used.
    Prob went with the new ones that were provided with rack. No record of buying any.
    The oe rack hardware was reused.

Going through this right now in my 83
    Installing an 03 rack with the MM hybrid steering shaft....

Somewhat confusing on the bushing change that according to the parts suppliers happened in 85...
    You need the smaller bolts, the sleeves and you need to drill out the FRONT ONLY hole in your K Member to 3/4"
    The sleeves are "bell" shaped and you insert the smaller end into the kmember from the front and then tap them in after you reach the larger diameter part as you are installing them//
    My 83 K member has larger sleeves ( factory ) already welded into it, but there is room to install the the newer sleeves, which you will have to do to upgrade to the newer rack bushings.....
    In my opinion, it looks to me like the older Kmember/Bushing design is much beefier.........

If you want to have YOUR rack rebuilt try "Turn One" ...... I had the 03 rack I acquired ( it was leaking) done by them..... NOT your most economical choice, but probably the best way to have a rack rebuilt....

The one from Napa was in a cardone box and am happy %100. No leaks, noises ,or problems so far at about 500 miles