Close

Default Easiest way to drain fuel tank in an 86

Seems I haven't really driven Capri since before COVID. I do have a Bosch
    inline pump mounted fwd of the gas tank that went on with the turbo kit many
    years ago. If I power that up and connect a line to it's output into some cans,
    will that pull fuel through the in-tank if it is not running, which IIRC was an
    aftermarket 155 lph?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I would siphon as much as I can first.

I will admit that my carbureted 84 sat for over a year without being cranked. I charged the battery and was turning it over to get oil pressure and without touching the gas or setting the choke it fired off. Gas stunk as it burned. I filled it up with fresh to dilute it and never had an issue.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Seems I haven't really driven Capri since before COVID. I do have a Bosch
    inline pump mounted fwd of the gas tank that went on with the turbo kit many
    years ago. If I power that up and connect a line to it's output into some cans,
    will that pull fuel through the in-tank if it is not running, which IIRC was an
    aftermarket 155 lph?
    Yes, I've done this several times. Unfortunately I had almost a full tank that I needed to drain so I unscrewed the fuel feed line (I have -AN lines in my car) and connected a 10' piece of AN hose and pumped the fuel right into a couple vehicles to burn it up as it wasn't completely bad, but certainly wasn't fresh. If you have the factory ECU and wiring, you will need to ground the FP trigger terminal otherwise the pump will run a prime cycle only and you would have to cycle the key a gazillion times (which is not a good idea)

Check the VIP connector diagram below, all you have to do is turn IGN ON and ground the FP trigger terminal.....the fuel pump should turn on and stay on as long as the jumper wire to ground is installed.

Name:  Run fuel pump1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  67.0 KB
    Last edited by Quikk86; 06-29-2022 at 06:47 PM.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    I would siphon as much as I can first.

I will admit that my carbureted 84 sat for over a year without being cranked. I charged the battery and was turning it over to get oil pressure and without touching the gas or setting the choke it fired off. Gas stunk as it burned. I filled it up with fresh to dilute it and never had an issue.
    I was never able to get a hose down in there with newer vehicles and unleaded gas inlet.
    Is it possible on fox's?

Quote Originally Posted by Quikk86 View Post
    Yes, I've done this several times. Unfortunately I had almost a full tank that I needed to drain so I unscrewed the fuel feed line (I have -AN lines in my car) and connected a 10' piece of AN hose and pumped the fuel right into a couple vehicles to burn it up as it wasn't completely bad, but certainly wasn't fresh. If you have the factory ECU and wiring, you will need to ground the FP trigger terminal otherwise the pump will run a prime cycle only and you would have to cycle the key a gazillion times (which is not a good idea)

Check the VIP connector diagram below, all you have to do is turn IGN ON and ground the FP trigger terminal.....the fuel pump should turn on and stay on as long as the jumper wire to ground is installed.

Name:  Run fuel pump1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  67.0 KB
    Was hoping to just power up external pump and suck fuel right through in tank pump.
    Guess if siphon doesn't work I will just try it see what happens. If nothing else works,
    I'll jump the internal pump also. Thanks for the wiring diagram.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Take a quick look under the car at the fuel filler. You can see its pretty straight forward after you get past the fill restrictor.
    if your siphon hose has a little natural bend to it you can work it around and get a lot out.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    Take a quick look under the car at the fuel filler. You can see its pretty straight forward after you get past the fill restrictor.
    if your siphon hose has a little natural bend to it you can work it around and get a lot out.
    Ok thanks, will have get her up on the lift and take a look. Will probably need to get to external pump at some point anyway.
    (and she needs an oil change, been siting in there since 2019).