Close

Default Anyone running 91-93 Fenders?

I’m interested doing this on my ‘85 for more clearance. I’m guessing modification will be needed, but JIC, does anyone make make the matching side spats, moldings, and front fender extensions to fit them?
    ‘22 Crosstrek Limited
    ‘07 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘06 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘05 Toyota Highlander 2.4
    ‘04 BMW 330i ZHP 6 spd
    ‘03 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 spd
    ‘88 Mustang Coupe Boss 327 Vortech Si Magnum MM StopTech
    ‘68 Buick Skylark 462 TKO600 RideTech
    ‘85 Mustang Coupe ‘04 Cobra Swap

I have not tried this personally, but I have played around with the 91-93 fenders.

You will have to modify the fender molding to fit the shorter length of the fender. No one makes a direct bolt on. Not a huge deal overall, but may require enlarging or drilling new mounting holes for the moldings.

The lower fender extensions from the 91-93 cars are bolt-on, but not sure how they match up with the 85/86 front bumper cover. They may work with little to no modification or they may require significant. Modifying the original fender extensions is an option also. I believe you will need to cut the extension near the fender opening side and shorten that and then fiberglass it back together. Others have done similar modifications. Again not too difficult, but can be time consuming.

Not sure what you mean by the side spats. Generally I think of the SVO side spats when someone uses that terminology. I believe the fender molding and fender extensions are the only two items you will need to modify to make it work. The inner fender liner might need some tweaks too, otherwise use ones from the 91-93 cars if possible. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I used the 91-93 fenders on my 79 to gain more tire room and then also cut and stretched the wheel opening further to accommodate the 1 1/2" forward offset MM control arms I went with. There were a bunch of holes that needed to be filled in for the fender extensions and new ones drilled as they are not the same. I had to cut the moldings to fit which was pretty easy, I just used a miter saw to cut those. I then had to then modify the fender extensions for the Pace Car front end I used. I cut them in half, then cut off a wedge shaped section to get the right length and angle. After that it was just a matter of rejoining the halves with fiberglass work and some filling and sanding. Without stretching the fender opening, the process would have been pretty much the same just less drastic.

Thanks for the info y’all. I’m no body guy by any means, but at least now I know what to order and what to tell my body/paint guys.
    ‘22 Crosstrek Limited
    ‘07 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘06 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘05 Toyota Highlander 2.4
    ‘04 BMW 330i ZHP 6 spd
    ‘03 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 spd
    ‘88 Mustang Coupe Boss 327 Vortech Si Magnum MM StopTech
    ‘68 Buick Skylark 462 TKO600 RideTech
    ‘85 Mustang Coupe ‘04 Cobra Swap