Close

Default Fuel Pump Hanger Question

I recently diagnosed a fuel problem with my Zephyr. I am using an LTD wagon tank & fuel pump hanger, slightly modified to fit a 255lph Walbro fuel pump. The lines on the pump hanger are pretty small, 5/16" feed, and 1/4" return, with adaptors and 6AN lines.

The small return line is causing fuel to load up at the rails, fouling the plugs and making setting the fuel pressure difficult and inconsistent. Seems to be hard on the pump as well. I removed the return line and put it into a gas can, and that seems to have fixed it.

Which brings me to my dilemma:
    Pro-M makes an upgraded fuel pump hanger for Mustangs with 3/8" feed and return lines and 6AN fittings installed.

https://www.promracing.com/high-flow...-mustangs.html

The problem with this part is that it does not fit the LTD tank, and the Mustang tank does not seem to fit the Zephyr chassis. I don't want to start cutting up the trunk, and would like to keep the LTD tank and in-tank fuel pump arrangement.

So i was thinking of trying to modify the stock hanger, adding 3/8" lines and fittings like the pro-m part. I have a TIG welder and can weld in new lines, but there is the plastic connector for fuel pump power/ground and the level sender. I'm afraid that might probably melt?

Also am looking into "bulkhead fittings", drilling out the stock lines completely and adding the bulkhead fittings but have never used them on fuel and am concerned about leaks.

Has anyone had to do anything like this, wondering if anyone has any advice on this problem? I suppose i could try to remove the plastic connector and then reattach it after welding?

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member

If you can find a bulkhead fitting with an O-Ring seal you should be able to swap out the O-Ring (probably Buna or EPDM) for a Viton O-Ring. The problem I see with bulkhead fittings (at least the ones that I am familiar with) is the hexes on them are usually fairly large. I don't know if you have room in the stock unit to mount two of them.

Here is what I am talking about. Probably not what you need, but might help you search: https://www.polytanksales.com/bulkhe...on-o-ring.html
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

So i ended up fabricating my own fuel pump hanger from scratch. It's working and no leaks thus far. I'll post up some pics and stuff when i have time.

Took the car out for a short drive (not road legal) couple miles. It ran good but the transmission was shifting weird, brakes felt like they were grinding even though everything is brand new, and the car ran a little bit hotter than what i am used to. I made it back home fine but it was underwhelming. Need to tune the car for sure. But it accelerated great and sounded good under throttle.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Did you disconnect the battery or reset the ECU at all? It was loading up before, so it's possible it was adjusting fuel trims leaner.

Glad you got it out and moving. Now time to get the tune done and fix all of the little things that always pop up once you get a car on the road.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I am using the Holley Terminator X, yes i disconnected the battery for about a month while i made my battery hold down for the trunk lol. Fuel pressure is rock solid now, no fluctuation like before. I am running the stock Holley base tune for now, but it needs tweaked for sure.
    I'm sure there is something in the transmission tune that needs to be changed. I do have a high stall converter and not sure if i entered that into the tune or not.
    I should have started a datalog but totally forgot.

Ah OK, so it's pretty green and generic. Yeah it should be better when you actually tune it a bit.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I hope so. I'm gonna wait til it's street legal though to road test it again.

Wow, that's enterprising of you. You could probably have a business making hangers for guys with F/Zs that want to run EFI.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Wow, that's enterprising of you. You could probably have a business making hangers for guys with F/Zs that want to run EFI.
    thanks!
    I could never charge money because if anything ever happened i would feel terrible.
    How many people really need this though?
    the F/Z tank is a freak and so weirdly shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    thanks!
    I could never charge money because if anything ever happened i would feel terrible.
    How many people really need this though?
    the F/Z tank is a freak and so weirdly shaped.
    I dunno. Seems to me the question "what do i do for a fuel pump if i want to run EFI" comes up almost as often as "how wide a tire can you fit on the rear". I always feel bad when they ask me what did I do. Well, Billy... I got these magical parts from fairy land that no longer exist, so you can't use them.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I dunno. Seems to me the question "what do i do for a fuel pump if i want to run EFI" comes up almost as often as "how wide a tire can you fit on the rear". I always feel bad when they ask me what did I do. Well, Billy... I got these magical parts from fairy land that no longer exist, so you can't use them.
    You have a good point. I'll give it some thought.

FEP Senior Member

Even some pics and explanation of what you did would be pretty helpful for those that wanted to try to replicate what you did.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Since it was requested, i'll post up some pics of the fabricated fuel pump hanger.

In-tank baffle, had to work around this
    Name:  d6oGR5.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  104.4 KB
    Make mounting plate
    Name:  eASDiq.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  56.4 KB
    Disassembled the stock hanger to remove the stock fuel pump bottom mount
    Name:  OjQqth.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  59.8 KB
    Welded 1/4" x 1/4" square tube to the mounting plate, welded the bottom mount onto it at the correct depth
    Name:  hRAmG1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  39.6 KB
    Removed stock fuel level sender
    Name:  NaBvmM.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  94.9 KB

Welded stock sender to new mount
    Name:  T3S5NQ.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  72.1 KB
    Plumbed teflon supply and return lines, wired up pump and sender with explosion proof wiring harness. Used bulkhead fittings with teflon washers.
    Name:  llv5zT.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  48.5 KB
    Welded ground stud to plate for sender ground, here is the hanger installed to tank
    Name:  TW14oR.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  65.4 KB
    Red is supply, blue is return.

I'm just glad that it is working, again the fittings are AN-6 which is 3/8" for both supply and return. Much better than the 5/16" supply and 1/4" return of the stock hanger lines. Fuel pressure is dead consistent now, gauge works fine.

The explosion-proof wiring harness i got from a company out of Australia, i don't remember the name right now but i can find it.
    Bulkhead fittings and submersible fuel lines and clamps i got from Finish Line Factory. AN 90 degree fittings (and all the fuel line fittings in the car) are from Hot Rod Fuel Hose, fuel line is AN-6 PTFE with inner metal braid and outer color coded cloth braid.

Thanks for reading!