Close

Default 10 hole wheel center cap restoration

Anyone have any recommendations of where I might find someone to "repaint" the Ford logo on the center caps? I see that LMR sells replacements without a painted logo. I tried "logo paint"--thin one-coat paint that's supposed to fill in the indentations for the logo but not satisfied with the result.

Any tips or reccommendations appreciated.

Name:  Center cap resized.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  43.0 KB

1985 Mustang GT vert
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure how particular you are, but I seem to recall on mine that that logo isn't just black...kind of like the dark charcoal gray trim on the car...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I saw in other related posts someone had pointed out that Ford used Charcoal Grey. Now if I can only find someone that does this kind of restoration...

Could try hobby, craft, or model paint and brushes.
    Acrylic-based may not last as long as lacquer and oil based enamel. Not waterproof.
    Primer and clear topcoat for uv protection are options
    Auto touch up would work with a thin brush but other day seen price was 10.00

FEP Power Member

Just paint it then hit it with a buffer with cleaner wax or light compound. Since it's stainless steel, you can always clean it up with lacquer thinner and start over. Or try center caps.net
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

They're stainless steel? Interesting, I always thought they were polished aluminum.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Here's mine. Thought about "Ford" blue but went black.
    I scuffed/cleaned inside the oval and letters, then used a gloss black touch up paint pen.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Looks good!

Refinishing the center caps is not overly difficult, but they are labor intesive. I have carefully masked off the Ford Oval and script and sprayed them in the past and that works pretty well. I used the same single stage Grey that I sprayed the side moldings with. Again labor intensive, but not Rocket Science.

Most shops are not going to be interested just due to the amount of time and the small return. If you have a local Hub Cap Vendor or Wheel Repair/Refinish place they might be worth checking into, but again the price might be more than you care to spend. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I do have 4 center caps for the 10 holes and 2 or 3 of them have pretty mint logo paint last time I checked. If you're interested in them let me know, I probably would just sell them for shipping or something like that.

I used small eye droppers to fill in the black background on some old Bronco emblems.

Then dumped them in an old electric oven I have out back at the lowest temp (140F I think) for 20 minutes. Cured them nicely.

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Go to the pharmacy and get some needles.. Apply using these and let it flow out... Might have to thin the paint some..... I did this years ago and it worked very well...... If I recall I used the insulin needles....... Make sure you don't look like a druggy or they will NOT sell them to you......

Several types available in different departments.
    Squeezing a bottle is easier to control than pushing a plunger or eyedropper.
    https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Suppl...review-section
    https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Suppl...SABEgI0avD_BwE
    https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...CABEgKJFPD_BwE
    Last edited by gr79; 07-04-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks to all for the additional information! This, I'm sure, will be helpful down the road for someone.

Fast_4_Eye supplied me with a set of center caps with the Ford logos in much better shape and definition than I had on mine.

Fox on!