Close

Default Looking for fuel system suggestions

I've got an 83 that was a 2.3 car. Now I am installing a carbed 5.0/302 into it. Never done this before and I could use some suggestions or opinions on how to set up my fuel system. I don't know the condition of the tank, lines or pump in this car, as I bought it as a roller and I don't know how long it has been sitting.

Do I:
    1) Take a chance on the stock (2.3) tank, pump and lines and just convert it over once it gets to the engine bay
    2) Go with new stock lines (V-8 ), pump, tank
    3) Use a later model of fox body lines, pump and tank
    4) Or something else?

I am considering, later on down the line (when I can afford it), going with an MSD Atomic II EFI setup. Not sure what the requirements for lines or return lines this would need. Any help and suggestions, including sources for parts, would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by V8Juggernaut; 06-10-2022 at 08:54 PM.

Since it’s carb you can use a manual pump. For the simplest setup unless you have the correct dizzy and box just go to hei distributor.seriously just a power wire is all you need simple and easy.

I don't believe there are any differences in the fuel tank in 1983 between a N/A 2.3 and the V8 for that year model. The V8 lines come out on the driver side just behind the K member under the brake booster. Not sure on the N/A 2.3.

As stated a carbed 302, the easiest option is a block mounted mechanical pump just like originally setup.

You can always drop the tank to inspect, clean as needed and blow out any crude/residue in the lines. If all looks good, flush them with some gasoline or cleaner and use as is. If anything is too rusted, corroded, or clogged, then replace as needed.

If going with an EFI setup at a later date, I would recommend the 86-93 EFI tank and an intake fuel pump and the 83-86 EFI sending unit so it works with your fuel gas. Use an aftermarket pump depending on your fuel needs. Add custom fuel lines or if stock replacement lines are enough you can get those from different vendors. Maybe not a direct bolt on, but fairly close and should be realitively easy install. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My '83 TBird had an in-tank low pressure electric fuel pump that went to a fuel filter then to an external in-line electric high pressure fuel pump. Car was a 302 and had the throttle body with the injectors but as Trey said above I have not seen a difference between any of the motor offerings in the pumps. The in-tank pump is capable of of anywhere from 40 to 50 gpm at about 7 psig. The high pressure in-line pump is capable of around 45 gpm and 45 psig.

If the low pressure pump is in good working order it will provide enough fuel for a mild 302 (up to about 400 fwhp). I have seen guys to it so its been done. I would also check the in-tank pump and make sure the hose between the pump discharge and the hard line on the pump hanger is in good shape. Lots of folks have found that this hose only lasts about 10 years then starts to rot.

I would caution you that if you do use the in-tank pump check it to make sure it is in fact the low pressure pump and someone did not put something like a Walbro 255 lph unit it there as that would not want to play with the carb very well. You can make one work with Aeromotive's A1000 carbureted return style regulator or something similiar.
    Last edited by Aerocoupe; 06-21-2022 at 09:46 AM.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...1&d=1418488062
    '83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1418488063
    '93 331W Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD