Close

Question Electric fan with A/C

Hey guys. Just curious how you guys with electric fans wire them into your A/C circuit, so when your going down the freeway or at high speeds with your A/C on the fan don't continuously run, and will only come on when needed? I know how to wire it up, but I thought I read somewhere you really don't want the fan to continuously run? Now in traffic I can understand wanting it to run continuously. Thanks for the help

FEP Power Member

Ford designed their circuits for the fan to run whenever the ac is on. If you wait until it gets hot to turn on, it's takes a bit for things to cool down.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FWIW I'm not sure what your running for electric fan controls. On my system I am using the Volvo fan relay setup for a two speed electric fan. The Volvo relay uses a ground trigger to start the high or low fan. Its a common upgrade with a dual temperature switch if you research it online. Also had the problem of the AC overheating/overpressurizing when the cooling fans were not ON and just idling etc.

I ended up wiring in an auto relay to trigger off the 12V power feed to the accumulator pressure switch so when the AC mode switch is ON the auto relay coil is energized. Then I wired the relay contact to ground the low speed trigger wire of the Volvo relay.

This way when the AC mode is selected by the dash controls it keeps the fan on low speed. If AC mode is not selected the normal temp switch will operate the fan. The ground triggers are paralleled from the AC relay and the normal temp switch, so either one will engage the low speed fan via the Volvo relay. Its working fine so far.