Close

Default T5 with two broken gears rebuild

I got an offer to buy a t5 with two broken gears for about 1/3 of what a decent one costs here where I live. Can it be worth it? Or is it not worth the trouble ?

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

I used to buy busted t5's for $20-30, up until a couple years ago. I bought an unknown condition t5 (94-98 v6 version, according to the tag) the other day for $20. I got it home. Someone has been in it, but the gears look perfect. I'm wondering if maybe it just needs synchros.

Anyway, it depends on the price. You're usually better off buying a working unit, even if it has some wear. I still consider t5's with gear damage "parts only". Of course, I save all the cases and parts because they'll keep getting harder to find with time.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I just realized you're from Europe. Considering you may not have a market for mustang t5's there, it may not be a bad deal for you. You can still buy gearsets for these things, so if the price is ok, just look up the cost of the parts and go from there. If you plan on doing the rebuild yourself, it shouldn't cost too much. You'll just need to take your time and have access to a decent press.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Thanks alot for the quick reply! I can only dream of the prices you guys pay in the states for foxbody parts. You would be shocked if i tell you what they ask for one with two broken gears !

Thanks for the advice, i am going to see what the parts cost + shipping and see if its worth it!
    1979 Mustang Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Lhaz79 View Post
    Thanks alot for the quick reply! I can only dream of the prices you guys pay in the states for foxbody parts. You would be shocked if i tell you what they ask for one with two broken gears !

Thanks for the advice, i am going to see what the parts cost + shipping and see if its worth it!
    Are v6 sn95 mustangs (94- 98 ) common there? You can make those work easily and they're usually in better condition.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

You start chasing transmission hard parts and you can have what you pay for a brand new one pretty quick
    Have you considered going with a TKX instead of a T5??