Close

Default T5 Help no movement in 5th or reverse

Good afternoon all. So I pulled a major bone head thinking the driver side top bolt on the T5 was a fill plug. Now I know the drain and fill are on the passenger side.

So after trying to remove the top bolt the car wouldn't go in gear. I ran it back in where the stick moves and it will go into 1-4 but it wouldn't go into 5 or R. So I messed with it some more where it seems like it's going into 5 and R but when the clutch is released no movement. Of course I played with it a bit more but still nothing.

Can someone tell me if I broke a shift fork or bent something or what I might have done.

Thanks for the info.
    Steve

Added stock internet photo. Note I am referring to the top bolt and for reference I did not take it all the way out and of note mine is a regular hex head bolt not a plug as shown in this picture.
    Attachment 137219
    Last edited by 84GT350_Annv; 06-04-2022 at 12:22 PM.

It's been a while since I had a T5 apart but if I remember correctly what you are describing is the stud that holds the 5-R lever in place. If you loosened it enough it probably popped the wavy washer that retains it on the inside of the transmission off. I don't think you'll be able to fix that without at the very least removing the top cover of the transmission.

I'm guessing the top "plug" shown here is what you removed. It sits above the reverse light switch on the driver side. I think I read somewhere that sometimes a hex blot is used instead of the torx blot that looks like a plug in this photo.

This is what that assembly looks like inside the transmission. The stud at the very top of the picture is what I'm talking about. See that wavy washer on the end that retains the 5-R lever? I can imagine that popping off if the stud were backed out enough. If that happens and the lever walks out it will possibly fall off or bind up which would cause your problem.

I'd just about bet that's what's going on. Back when I was racing I had my T5 apart quite a few times but that was a decade ago and my memory isn't all that great these days.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Yeah, I have done mmb617 has done before. Loosened that bolt, heard a clunk, put the bolt back, had to open things up to reattach the shift fork...
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks mmb617, appreciate the insight and the pictures. It's been too hot in the barn to mess with but I'm sure what you described is the way forward. I'll come back and make some updates once I get it pulled and let everyone know what happened.

Steve