Close

Thread: Idle issue

Unhappy Idle issue

My 86 GT converted it to MAF with an A9L from a 92 fox and the harness from 50resto. Did a H/C/I motor so nothing special. Done the base idle reset several times, TPS adjustment. Idles for the most part fine, but there is a few times more often then not it dies when I come to a stop. And I have also noticed recently it will die if I sit at idle for to long. I don't have the VSS hooked up since my car didn't come with CC from the factory. I have the idle set at 850 which is what's recommended by the cam card and the tuner. Really at a loss here, any input would be great!

Do you have a wideband O2 on that?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

What’s your TPS voltage at? Fuel pressure? Timing? And what MAF/configuration do you have? Injector size?
    86 Capri-84 LTD a wagon-85 notch-86 notch

FEP Supporter

I'm on the add a VSS team.
    '85 GT

My TPS is .9-.98 Fuel pressure is around 38 PSI at idle Timing is at 10* base due to the chip. MAF is a PRO M and I have 24LBS injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    I'm on the add a VSS team.
    I would agree with you. But from what I have heard is the VSS is only necessary with cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by smokedya View Post
    Yes an innovate landa II
    Do you notice it going rich as the idle dies?
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Do you notice it going rich as the idle dies?
    Not that I noticed no. I'm at such a loss. It's a simple H/C/I combo done a million in one times......

I ask because if the computer is getting bogus info from the temp sensor it can cause rich and low idle like that. Might want to double check your grounding on all the sensors.

I ask because if the computer is getting bogus info from the temp sensor it can cause rich and low idle like that. Might want to double check your grounding on all the sensors.

Definitely A good point. Before I did the conversion and the H/C/I The car ran perfect and quite frankly it was the smoothest running stock fox I have ever had

Well sort of an update. I purchased a QH and after data logging. We determined that I'm getting a false lean reading. so, I'm going to get the injectors flowed and go from there.
    Last edited by smokedya; 07-11-2022 at 09:42 PM.

Interesting! False from the O2 or is the computer asking for more fuel when it shouldn't?

Well when we were real time tuning, we put twice the amount of fuel in it than it should have taken. So he determined either I have an exhaust leak (which I do where the mid pipe and catback connects on one side) or the injectors are bad on both banks since both banks were reading the same false lean condition. I'm almost positive I purchased these injectors from the same guy I bought my 90MM MAF from that was bad, so I have a feeling this is why he was selling them.

Ouch. Could be it.

Ouch. Could be it.
    well i hope that's my issue! Main reason I pulled the trigger for the QH to do real time data logging and tuning.