Close

Default C4 to T5 + shopping list

Hey guys,
    I am planning to swap the c4 in my 79 coupe to a t5 and have a question hoping you guys can help.

• Being from europe its hard enough to find a t5 + bellhousing. Let alone all the other small parts. Shipping and taxes double the price on a summit or rockauto order from the u.s. I am lucky enough to be traveling the states for a month in june and i am planning to take back a suitcase full of parts. Now, i have found some parts list for olders mustangs but have yet to find one for a foxbody. Can anyone help me with creating a list of smaller parts i am going to need? Or know where i can find one. I know its a big ask!
    • Any tech advice on the swap in general is welcome! I am running a '92 302.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a pedal assembly? If so one from an '83 or newer will allow you to use a quadrant style clutch. Some earlier models had them.
    Cable
    Quadrant kit
    Firewall adjuster (small, light, useful)
    Transmission
    Bell housing
    Clutch fork
    Fork ball stud
    Not sure what might be different as far as speedo cable hookup, so maybe a gear for that? Will a C4 cable hook up to the T5? If not you'll need a Speedo cable.
    Clutch assembly
    Flywheel with proper imbalance
    Is it the same trans crossmember? And mount? If not, those.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thanks! I'll add them to my list.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

I did a T5 swap into my sons 80 cobra years ago. As mentioned you will need all the obvious stuff and parts as mentioned above.

Assume you have a 302 in the car already ? One other thing to consider is the driveshaft for the C4 will be quite a bit longer. I got it shortened by a driveline shop by about 1" or so to fit the T5 properly.

Also Stifflers makes a double hump cross member (if going to dual exhaust) that fits the mounts on the old 79-81 cars perfectly with a T5 but it is a bit pricey. I don't think the C4 crossmember will line up with the mounting bolts on the T5 (even if keeping single exhaust). You might be able to fit a Stifflers in your suitcase

The speedo cable was OK from C4 to T5 as far as I remember.

Also you may want to figure out your rear end ratio. My sons car had the 2.47 rear end ratio with the C4 combo. That would be a pretty extreme overdrive with a T5. We switched out to a 3.08.

Good luck with the conversion !!

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    I did a T5 swap into my sons 80 cobra years ago. As mentioned you will need all the obvious stuff and parts as mentioned above.

Assume you have a 302 in the car already ? One other thing to consider is the driveshaft for the C4 will be quite a bit longer. I got it shortened by a driveline shop by about 1" or so to fit the T5 properly.

Also Stifflers makes a double hump cross member (if going to dual exhaust) that fits the mounts on the old 79-81 cars perfectly with a T5 but it is a bit pricey. I don't think the C4 crossmember will line up with the mounting bolts on the T5 (even if keeping single exhaust). You might be able to fit a Stifflers in your suitcase

The speedo cable was OK from C4 to T5 as far as I remember.

Also you may want to figure out your rear end ratio. My sons car had the 2.47 rear end ratio with the C4 combo. That would be a pretty extreme overdrive with a T5. We switched out to a 3.08.

Good luck with the conversion !!
    Thanks for your input. I must say it sounds like quite a big job when it's done right.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

There is a difference between the speedo (driven) gears from auto to manual. There could also be a different tooth count on the drive gear depending on which transmission you have