Close

Default Opinions on upgrade parts?

I’m curious what experiences people have had with things like lowering springs, sub frame connectors, headers, etc.
    I have been thinking of cutting the stock springs cause the car sits so high but rides nice and handles good, but if there’s some cheap springs out there that are comparable, let me know I’m not into $350 for eibachs just yet. Maybe if I win some cash.
    I’ve read the eBay $100 headers are decent but I’ve always wanted some equal length bbk headers but read they can be troublesome when fitting.
    As for sfc some look super chinsey. I have no real info, but I’m leaning towards mm. For $200 it seems sturdy…I guess.
    Anybody with experience in these or other upgrades like an hei distributor, chime in.

Of the parts you're asking about the only one I can comment on is the subframe connectors. I put a set of Maximum Motorsports ones on my car 16 years ago and have never regretted it.

I also have a set of BBK full length headers on my car but I'm running a Windsor so it's not exactly the same, but I don't have any real fitment issues.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I am not aware of any cheap springs that are worth the time and $$ to swap out. The Eibachs are well worth the money if they fit your needs. I have done the OEM spring cuts and that works just fine. Just don't cut too much to start with. The ride will stiffen up a bit, but nothing terrible. Not as good an option as aftermarket H&R or Eibach springs, but can't beat the price.

MM makes the only SFC I will use, unless I make my own and generally that doesn't save me any $$ in the long run. All headers seem to have some fitment issues, but all of them will work. I can't speak for the Ebay specials, but I have installed BBK, MAC, Headman, and others over the years and all of them take some work to fit properly and seal. If you can get a set used that is generally your best low cost option. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I've loved my springs from LMR. I think they were around $200? I cut a coil out of the stockers in my '83 hatch years ago and it rode a lot rougher. Won't do that again.
    Almost any SFC is going to be so much better than none as long as they are good and sturdy. I have a set from Stifflers that I have not installed yet. Same length as the MM full length ones and are nice thick steel box. I also installed their rear shock brace and trans crossmember. Seem very nice quality for a decent price.
    As for headers the equal length can be a littler tougher getting all the bolts tightened. The main issue is doing stuff later, like swapping out spark plugs. Even though they offer a bit more power I will probably stay with unequals just for future maintenance ease.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 06-02-2022 at 03:03 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

To be 100% honest with you, I've had good luck with USED springs. I have a source that would get his hands on cars that were out of the DMV system and would be costly to get registered or ones that had other issues. My 20th Anniversary GT-350 had a set of used Eibach Sport Line springs and urethane spring isolators. Rode great.....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.