Close

New User

Default 1982 GT 302 original blue engine block?

Hello everyone,

Not to feed the flames of debate, but I just picked up a 1982 GT, appears everything is stock, the factory muffler is still on the car. When I put the car on a lift, the oil pan was blue, So I cleaned a spot on the block and it too is blue. I then checked the plate between the bell housing and the block and it also was blue (maybe more overspray), but definitely blue.

I know the blocks in 1982 were reported to be unpainted. But I have no reason to believe this car has ever been tampered with, all the emissions are still in place and nothing appears to have been modified.

I talked to Trey and he suggested posting this for any guys who may have some info on this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    John
    Current Fox bodies:
    1983 Capri RS 5.0 T-top
    1986 SSP (Colorado DSO)
    1991 LX 5.0 convertible (survivor 13K original miles)

Quote Originally Posted by jdrtexas View Post
    Hello everyone,

Not to feed the flames of debate, but I just picked up a 1982 GT, appears everything is stock, the factory muffler is still on the car. When I put the car on a lift, the oil pan was blue, So I cleaned a spot on the block and it too is blue. I then checked the plate between the bell housing and the block and it also was blue (maybe more overspray), but definitely blue.

I know the blocks in 1982 were reported to be unpainted. But I have no reason to believe this car has ever been tampered with, all the emissions are still in place and nothing appears to have been modified.

I talked to Trey and he suggested posting this for any guys who may have some info on this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    John
    Flashback to December 1982, and my adding the Edelbrock performer manifold, 600cfm Holley, and Crane cam (hydraulic version of a 289 HiPo cam) to my 3 month old, 100% stock, 1982 Mustang GT, I can confirm that the block and heads on mine were not painted.

Bill S.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Flashback to December 1982, and my adding the Edelbrock performer manifold, 600cfm Holley, and Crane cam (hydraulic version of a 289 HiPo cam) to my 3 month old, 100% stock, 1982 Mustang GT, I can confirm that the block and heads on mine were not painted.

Bill S.
    Nice to see you over at Four Eyed Pride again Bill S. Wow, that GT must've flown after those upgrades! Whatever became of the car...

The engine in my 1982 Capri RS down in TX was not painted and it was original, so who the heck knows what Ford was doing. I will have to double check, I believe my RS was an early production 1982. Unfortunately my 1982 GT did not have an engine when I bought it, so no idea about that one. The mystery continues.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Nice to see you over at Four Eyed Pride again Bill S. Wow, that GT must've flown after those upgrades! Whatever became of the car...
    I pulled a carfax and the car disappeared from existence some time in 1986, never to be heard from again. I can only assume either export from the states, or it was crashed by the second owner (mid 40's from what I remember).

As a side note, my red on red 82 GT road race car (which I bought and sold 3 times) also dropped off the face of the earth for many years, only to pop up (per car fax) in western, upstate NY for a brief 2 year period, only to drop off the face of the earth once again. Not seen on the road, nor any race tracks across the country, believe me, I've looked.

Bill S.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    I pulled a carfax and the car disappeared from existence some time in 1986, never to be heard from again. I can only assume either export from the states, or it was crashed by the second owner (mid 40's from what I remember).

As a side note, my red on red 82 GT road race car (which I bought and sold 3 times) also dropped off the face of the earth for many years, only to pop up (per car fax) in western, upstate NY for a brief 2 year period, only to drop off the face of the earth once again. Not seen on the road, nor any race tracks across the country, believe me, I've looked.

Bill S.

Carfax is interesting; a typical Carfax will state something like; "6/82, MSO, Shipped To Dealer" and then nothing for several yrs...until 1996 or '97. I figured it must have been during this time that car/truck data started getting regularly syncronized/uploaded into the national mainframe.

Besides Carfax, I strongly suggest to anyone with the newer-style vin or Calif. license plate number to visit "B.A.R. California Smog Results." It can be quite-revealing! For instance, a '66 I once-owned had a record of being Smogged only once in 8/99, then nothing else! Today, only 1975-and newer cars/trucks are Smogged.

From my experience if a car or truck is sold, registered, then "disappears" it can mean only (3) things; the car was eventually sold out of the country...is sitting in a backyard/garage somewhere...or worse yet, junked. Back in Calif, another car that I owned was this 1991GT. I sold it to a teenager who had it a couple years, then it went to somebody else, etc, and "disappeared" after 2008. I thought I saw a picture of it about ten years ago with some thermal damage, along with 3-4 other cars jam-packed into a California driveway after what looked like a garage fire, then I'm like "Naaaaaah. Couldn't be." I like to think it wasn't the car, and instead went to a buyer from a nearby AZ or maybe UT...
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-25-2024 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added text

Was not the 82 GT, Automatic with a 255 had the blue block, right

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTTops View Post
    Was not the 82 GT, Automatic with a 255 had the blue block, right

I have yet to find a correlation on any unmolested 1982 GT's, automatic or SROD 4spd equipped vs block paint.
    Recently stumbled across a Silver Metallic 82 GT north of TR, appears to have been sitting for quite some time, still wearing it's original TRX tires, have yet to get permission to inspect it in greater detail, but if and when I do, I'll be sure to document what I find within.

If you car is all original, and unmolested, I'll be happy to swing by and take a look at it.

Bill S.

Early 82 motors were painted blue.
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

FEP Power Member

The transition from Ford blue engines to bare and later gray was definitely around that time. I'm not sure if MCA has a clear change over date. It might also have to do with a change in engine assembly plants. Iirc, 82 was "the Boss is back" promotion by Ford.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Last edited by 83GTTops; 01-26-2024 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The transition from Ford blue engines to bare and later gray was definitely around that time. I'm not sure if MCA has a clear change over date. It might also have to do with a change in engine assembly plants. Iirc, 82 was "the Boss is back" promotion by Ford.
    Wonder too if they had a specific date of engine color changes for the 82 302 and used up the last orders of blue paint on other engines?
    No paint at start of GT 302 builds, running change on other engines, blue until paint orders were discontinued and paint ran out.
    When i worked at Dearborn engine, blue engine paint came in 55 gal drums. They stocked 2-3 drums at the line's painting station.
    Engines were painted reusing the same set of v/c. The engines got their real sets later on the line.
    Guess is if a painting mistake created runs on a cover, it would not have to be scrapped.

82 GT 302 had a sweet parts combo for a factory 2v v8 build. Using off the shelf proven HP Ford factory parts was a simple cool decision.
    Recalled the 82 GT was a real temptation to trade the 79, except for fuel cost for cross town work commutes and new house hunting.
    4v carb later was icing on the cake. All 4v create that unique sound during accel. Everyone knows when the pedal is floored.

for some reason, I was thinking my 82GT was grey.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0