Close

Default Got a carb'd Pony w/ an HEI and want a STB?

So I want to install a strut tower brace in my Granada. I'm running a FiTech (so just like a carb fitment wise) and an HEI distributor. None on the market I could find will fit.

So I purchased the MM version and sure enough, it hits the dizzy. So I did some measuring and figured the front portion of the bar needed to be 2" forward. My buddy thought that going with 45° 'posts' out would be stronger than 90°. He went further wide than needed so it lined up better with the MM curves.

Pic is of it mocked up. Left the original bar in place so as to not mess up mounting point locations. If it works he is going to cut out the middle part of the MM bar, seal the tubing end holes, and add small gussets to the new portion.

I will post pics when it's done and when it is installed.

What do you think?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Cool. Had to do a similar thing here:

This bar has the front portion removable though. No idea of the brand. It has been on the car longer than I have been alive. This is on my dads 85 mustang he had since new. Two years ago now he put a blueprint 306 in and it came with the HEI. He wanted to keep the ignition, I tried arguing for keeping the duraspark. We made up a new center section so the whole strut brace was still functional. Also had to run an air cleaner from a mid 80's thunderbird and modified it to fit the carb and have the dual snorkel like factory.

That looks nice! Not sure of the brand. I've heard of them with removable sections and thought about that with this one, but solid welded will be a lot stronger I think. The angle we put in also should allow access to the PS cap.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Mocked it up today and looks good. He is going to weld it up, seal off the tube ends. Should have it within a week.

5/31:

It is completed and I think I will snag it tomorrow.
    Last edited by richpet; 05-31-2022 at 10:35 PM.

Partially installed. Need to drill/bolt the strut tower portions.

Your hood clearance is okay? I know on the mustang things got very very tight with the relocated cross bar.

When we mocked it up I had him angle the 'addition' slightly downward. He didn't angle it quite enough so it bumps the ribs on the hood. Nothing a hammer won't solve. Not his fault on the angle - that was all me and I didn't want him to have to re-do it.
    As it is it sits half an inch over the upper rad hose. If I were to do it again, or if someone else wants to do it, I'd angle it down a bit more to just touch the hose. Round tube won't damage the rad hose.