Close

Question 8.8 swap sits too far forward

I swapped an 8.8 rear end from a 95 gt into my 79 base mustang, now the rear end sits an inch too far toward the front and we can’t figure it out. I got smr tubular control arms that are non-adjustable, not sure if they’re the problem. the driveline seems to fit but no room for play. Any and all advice will be appreciated, the trans is a 3 speed c4 if that helps

An 8.8 should fit in just the same. Odd.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

What are "smr tubular control arms"?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    What are "smr tubular control arms"?
    Summit Racing tubular control arms maybe??
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Did you order the control arms for a 79 or 95?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Did you order the control arms for a 79 or 95?
    There is no difference in length of RCAs for 79-04 Mustangs.

OP, what length are the arms you ordered? As in actually measure them.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I swapped an 8.8 into my 79 and it fit fine. Are the rear wheels not centered in the wheel openings? Or is the driveshaft too long?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Aren't shafts different lengths (so hard not to be immature ...) between auto and manual trans cars? Is it possible you just have the wrong one or ?
    We're any other parts changed? Just the rear and the arms?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Is the car on the ground? (or equal). ie, suspension fully loaded?
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

FEP Member

Are your wheels not centered in the wheel wells, or is your driveshaft not fitting? Depending on what axle your ‘79 originally came with (6.625 or 7.5) the difference in the master housing dimensions could be as much as 15/16”.

If the wheels are centered, and it’s the driveshaft that’s not fitting you should look into getting your driveshaft shortened.

If the wheels are not centered then I would check the length of your control arms. 17-5/8” center to center is what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The driveshaft seems too long, the car was originally a i6 engine and I kept the same tranny and shaft when I swapped in a 5.0

Yes it is now, when it was in the air it was an even tighter fit, on the ground it’s actually drivable but still sits and inch forward than what factory measures say

They were cheap to say the least, smr was just the name of the brand

Is your driveline being too long the only problem? OR do the wheels/tires now sit funny in the wheel well?
    If its the driveline ( common) take it too a driveline shop and have it shortened....
    Ask the shop how how want you to measure for it.....