Close

Default 4 lug drum conversion to a 5 lug disc

This has probably already answered on here especially with the sticky post on the 5 lug but I'm a bit lost on that post so... I was wondering if I could just use one of the pre-existing 87-93 5 lug conversion kits from LMR/CJ or if I should/have to stick with the drums on the rear

Edit: I have a 84 lx convertible with a v6 in it
    Last edited by DeathShip; 05-20-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Here is the link to the previously mentioned kit

Rear axle 5 lug conversion & drum kit 79-93 https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1126K/79-93...-Axle-Drum-Kit

Rear axle 5 lug conversion 87-93 https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4234K/1987-...Conversion-Kit

Cobra rear axle 5 lug conversion https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4234CB-K/Mu...Conversion-Kit
    Last edited by DeathShip; 05-20-2022 at 07:39 PM.

I used North Race Cars kit and am very happy with it
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I used North Race Cars kit and am very happy with it
    Thank you I'll keep that company in mind when it comes time for to replace the rear end. Question did you have to do anything with the hard lines themselves when modding your car or because the kit includes soft cables you didn't need to

You cannot use an 87-93 5 lug kit without first swapping front spindles to [87-93V8] or [82-83 Continental/84-86 SVO]. The Continental/SVO spindle requires an SN95 to SVO balljoint adapter and SN95 balljoints

Your existing struts will work but require a pair of 1/8” thick spacers often found in strut kits.

Your other option for 5 lug with four eyed fox spindles is rotors for a 1983 Ranger 2.0 RWD. They use the same bearings and seals. They require a different dust cap

A 245/45/17 tire on a 94-95 17x8.5 Tribar rim will fit in front with the ranger rotor. I suggest a 1/8 wheel spacer for additional strut clearance as the rims often clear but the wheel weights often don’t

The down side to either of these approaches for the front is the rotor hat height. Many 5 lug wheels fit but you can’t get the center cap on
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

If you swap to an SVO spindle the strut bolts do not quite align. You have to slot one hole or use a camber bolt or you can’t assemble it

Is the ranger rotor bigger than the mustang? Would you need ranger calipers too?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Ranger rotors are BARELY any larger at all. Sometimes you have to put them on the spindle and get them spinning and give them a couple licks with an angle grinder to clear the brake caliper bracket when everything is tight. I had to with my 86 when I did it, but I've seen multiple where it wasn't needed.

You re-use your Mustang calipers and pads.

The main things you change are the rotors and the bearing dust caps.