Close

Default Exact Date 86 Capri Production Ended?

I've finally just sold my 86 4E Capri to a good friend. It will be getting the complete concours restoration it deserves and I was unable to give it. I know Capri production ended in April of 86. My Marti Report shows it as a build date of 4/9/86.

I'm guessing that is pretty close to the end? Anybody know the exact last day?
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

1986 Mustang production went well into late September. I have docs proving that. Third Gen registry said it was 9-30-86. I have no reason to believe Capri was any different. I have docs for Capris with dates showing mid August. And that's just what I can prove. There are higher VINs, probably produced later than that.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-22-2022 at 02:00 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    1986 Mustang production went well into late September. I have docs proving that. Third Gen registry said it was 9-30-86. I have no reason to believe Capri was any different. I have docs for Capris with dates showing mid August. And that's just what I can prove. There are higher VINs, probably produced later than that.
    Speaking of which. Is the upper left corner the build date on a build sheet for 86? (Aug 22, 1986??)

Aug build lines up with my purchase date of Oct.

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Date and time on (late 83 model year and later) build sheets I believe is when the sheet was printed.

860822 1457 = Aug 22 1986 2:57 PM
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

OX1 would you post a complete pic of your build sheet? I collect, decode, and database them. This is the latest Capri I have seen for 86.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

OX1 would you post a complete pic of your build sheet? I collect, decode, and database them. This is the latest Capri I have seen for 86.
    I can get you everything except the ripped out piece. That's the way it was when I took it out.

Date and time on (late 83 model year and later) build sheets I believe is when the sheet was printed.

860822 1457 = Aug 22 1986 2:57 PM
    My door sticker turned black (dark grey) on the upper section and the lower section is VERY faded (but still readable).
    So is a car typically built pretty close to the date the build sheet was printed.

I would have to look at the data that I have to get an idea of how close the build sheet date and actual produced-on date might be.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I looked at 1986 data only and the number of days between the date on the build sheet and the actual build date on the Marti report was anywhere from as little as four days to as many as 20 days.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I found an example that perfectly illustrates the fact that cars were *not* built in order by the last six of the VIN.

Example: Two 1986 Mustangs with last six of VIN of 170029 and 179482 Both had the same date and time on their build sheet of 851219 1248 (printed on Dec 19 1985 @ 12:48 PM) and an actual build date of 01/08/86 on their Marti report. So their build sheets were printed on the same day at the same time, and they were actually built on the same day.

The 'trim & chassis' assembly line installed the drivetrain, brakes, suspension, interior, body panels, etc, and that line used the build sheet to match the right powertrain to the car, and the right seats, and the right dash, etc. On the build sheets is a "rotations number", which is the order that vehicles were arranged on that assembly line. (Buck tags also have a rotations number for the 'body & paint' assembly line, and that number is not related to rotations number on the T&C line, and units did not go in the same order as on the T&C line.) The rotations number for 170029 is 8454 and the rotations number for 179482 is 8321. So that means 179482 was 133 cars *ahead of* 170029 on the T&C assembly line.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-30-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I found an example that perfectly illustrates the fact that cars were *not* built in order by the last six of the VIN.

Example: Two 1986 Mustangs with last six of VIN of 170029 and 179482 Both had the same date and time on their build sheet of 851219 1248 (printed on Dec 19 1985 @ 12:48 PM) and an actual build date of 01/08/86 on their Marti report. So their build sheets were printed on the same day at the same time, and they were actually built on the same day.

The 'trim & chassis' assembly line installed the drivetrain, brakes, suspension, interior, body panels, etc, and that line used the build sheet to match the right powertrain to the car, and the right seats, and the right dash, etc. On the build sheets is a "rotations number", which is the order that vehicles were arranged on that assembly line. (Buck tags also have a rotations number for the 'body & paint' assembly line, and that number is not related to rotations number on the T&C line, and units did not go in the same order as on the T&C line.) The rotations number for 170029 is 8454 and the rotations number for 179482 is 8321. So that means 179482 was 133 cars *ahead of* 170029 on the T&C assembly line.
    I wonder why it would have an Actual Build Date of 01/08/86 on the Marti Report? I would believe the actual Build Sheet in this case.

Date on the build sheet is not the build date. I believe the date on the build sheet when it was printed.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Date on the build sheet is not the build date. I believe the date on the build sheet when it was printed.
    Oh how strange. I still think its fascinating that '86 Mustangs were built into September of '86. That is incredibly late for cars. Maybe Ford didn't want to say goodbye to the foureyes just yet, sentimental bunch at Ford!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Oh how strange. I still think its fascinating that '86 Mustangs were built into September of '86. That is incredibly late for cars. Maybe Ford didn't want to say goodbye to the foureyes just yet, sentimental bunch at Ford!
    Well, 87 was a huge change. So it makes sense they wanted to build up as much stock as possible and
    use up left over parts that did not carry over (especially Capri's) .

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Well, 87 was a huge change. So it makes sense they wanted to build up as much stock as possible and
    use up left over parts that did not carry over (especially Capri's) .
    Definitely a huge change! Wish they made Capris in '87 as well.

Mixed feelings. Didn't like the aero stang foxes when new, still not a fan.
    I think prelim pics of them were out when I finally got my Capri, and that is one of
    the reasons I was so hot to get an 86.

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Mixed feelings. Didn't like the aero stang foxes when new, still not a fan.
    I think prelim pics of them were out when I finally got my Capri, and that is one of
    the reasons I was so hot to get an 86.
    Funny reading about "the three new Capris out back sunken in the mud without any spoilers." On an aside, I remember seeing your parents modded LTD II down in Jersey, and thinking it was one of my favorite modded cars at that time
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 06-01-2022 at 08:16 AM. Reason: sp 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Funny reading about "the three new Capris out back sunken in the mud without any spoilers." On an aside, I remember seeing your parents modded LTD II down in Jersey, and thinking it was one of my favorite modded cars at that time
    Thanks!! He LOVED that car and went to car shows in and around Union County, almost every night, for 20 years.