Close

Default What parts to scavenge off '95 V6 Mustang for '86 LTD.

I just picked up a V6 '95 parts car to update the 3.8L LTD, so far here is a list of parts I plan to swap over.

• Spindles
    • Front & Rear Brakes
    • Axle shafts
    • T5 Transmission
    • Pedal Assembly
    • Brake Booster
    • 17" Wheels
    • Exhaust Manifolds
    • Front & Rear Sway Bars
    • Alternator

I had thought about the engine, but it was taken apart by the previous owner & he stated he found a few bolts inside the engine, not once but both times he took it apart to fix the issues he was having. So I plan to leave the old 3.8l in the LTD for a little while longer & just do a manual swap sometime later. I picked up a '67 289 engine a few weeks back and plan to use that if the machinist say's it's good enough to use. The engine will the most costly thing so I'm not rushing to throw money at. Really just want to make this a fun driver for the time being with plans to build it for autocross later on.

Unfortunately I can't start working on taking things apart just yet, when picking up the parts car, I ruptured my left Achilles tendon. Not sure how long that's going to keep me from wrenching but I doubt it'll be anytime soon. Till then, just want to get my plan in order and see if anyone out there can think of something else I can add to my "swap list" that I am planning out.

Just swap the whole rear axle and control arms, etc.

No sense in the extra work to swap parts from one 7.5 axle to another. (Unless you have an 8.8 waiting to swap in)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Will your existing parking brake setup (by that I mean the pedal and cables and release handle) work with the SN95 rear brakes? I was initially going to suggest that you add the parking brake cables and handle to your "shopping list", but I suppose those parts aren't going to work for you since the LTD isn't set up for that. Looking at pics online, your LTD has the parking brake foot pedal, right?
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post

No sense in the extra work to swap parts from one 7.5 axle to another. (Unless you have an 8.8 waiting to swap in)
    I do have an 8.8 housing lined up for next weekend, but with my leg being messed up now not sure how I'm going to get it loaded/unloaded. Reasoning behind just using the axle shafts is that the Mustang axle comes with the 2.73 gears, as opposed to the 3.45 gears already in the LTD.

So is there much benefit to using the Mustang control arms? I had planned to upgrade to Maximum Motorsports after the car is on the road for a month or so to get a feel how the upgrade changes how it drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Will your existing parking brake setup (by that I mean the pedal and cables and release handle) work with the SN95 rear brakes? I was initially going to suggest that you add the parking brake cables and handle to your "shopping list", but I suppose those parts aren't going to work for you since the LTD isn't set up for that. Looking at pics online, your LTD has the parking brake foot pedal, right?
    Your right, it does have the foot pedal for the parking brake. I am going to address that later on, but will most likely have to find parts from 80's Mustang to keep the interior looking factory. Since the end game is to have a manual, I'd prefer the parking brake in the center console. Still deciding what seats I will be using in the car, I've been looking at Corbaeu, but I won't make any final decision until I can locate a place that I can sit in them first. Main focus on that is to lower the weight of the car & help with side support.

Quote Originally Posted by Asphalt View Post
    I do have an 8.8 housing lined up for next weekend, but with my leg being messed up now not sure how I'm going to get it loaded/unloaded. Reasoning behind just using the axle shafts is that the Mustang axle comes with the 2.73 gears, as opposed to the 3.45 gears already in the LTD.

So is there much benefit to using the Mustang control arms? I had planned to upgrade to Maximum Motorsports after the car is on the road for a month or so to get a feel how the upgrade changes how it drives.
    If you have an 8.8, then yeah, no need for the other stuff. What is the 8.8 out of?

I mentioned the control arms basically for "newer" parts. If MM stuff or whatever is on the shopping list, no need to pull those either.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

If you have an 8.8, then yeah, no need for the other stuff. What is the 8.8 out of?

I mentioned the control arms basically for "newer" parts. If MM stuff or whatever is on the shopping list, no need to pull those either.
    Yea, judging by the tag on the axle it's from a late 80's Mustang. The 7.5 axle will stay in the car till I can build up the axle properly with a traction device & upgrade it to 31 spline.

Wow, never would have thought that all the control arms would swap over from a '95 Mustang to an '86 LTD!
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Wow, never would have thought that all the control arms would swap over from a '95 Mustang to an '86 LTD!
    Yeah. Pretty sure it has the Mustang-length rear arms. They were the same length until '04, but in '99 they changed from 12mm to 14mm hardware.

Now, the 83-86 LTD shares a few parts with the 80-88 Tbirds/Cougars, so maybe I'll climb under mine and verify the rear arms. The uppers are the easiest to compare, as the length difference is over 1".
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

So I just climbed under my LTS to measure the RCAs. They are Mustang ones.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

So I just climbed under my LTS to measure the RCAs. They are Mustang ones.
    Good info there.

For Mustang people as well as the LTD/Marquis and Thunderbird/Cougar crowd.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)