Close

Default Seat belt replacement

Hey Guys, so finally got to drive the fox after owning it and restoring it for 5 years and wouldn’t ya know it the drivers side seat belt buckle broke. The little bar that sits across the belt came out. So it looks like I’m going to have to get some new seat belts for the front. Guess I should of looked at that earlier(rookie mistake).What’s everyone using for replacement belts in these cars? Lmr has a stock replacement kit that would be about $450 Canadian but there are also cheaper universal ones. Like the Allstar 98115 that would be about $75 Canadian a side but it doesn’t look stock and might need modifications to fit. I hesitate on using cheaper universal belts but I’m not sure if they are cheap or lmr is just really expensive. Anybody use the cheaper universal ones and how do they compare?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Before you buy new belts, are you aware Ford did a recall on the mid 80's Mustangs (and maybe others) for seatbelt issues? The plastic piece in the buckle assembly that holds the retainer bar in (which in turn holds the buckle to the belt) deteriorates to the point that the retainer bar can fall out. Don't know if that's your exact problem or not, but sounds like it might be. I'm hoping it is because there is a solution.

I've read that the old defective pieces were light colored (white?) and that the new improved replacement parts were dark (black?) colored. Don't know that for a fact, but it's what I have read. And that that is one way to tell if the fix has been done on the car. Makes sense.

The replacement parts are still available on eBay. Comes with instructions. And not unreasonably priced, imo. Here's one seller and I see there are others also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284555162432

Good luck and keep us updated.
    Last edited by 85GTGuy; 05-17-2022 at 12:05 AM.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Before you buy new belts, are you aware Ford did a recall on the mid 80's Mustangs (and maybe others) for seatbelt issues? The plastic piece in the buckle assembly that holds the retainer bar in (which in turn holds the buckle to the belt) deteriorates to the point that the retainer bar can fall out. Don't know if that's your exact problem or not, but sounds like it might be. I'm hoping it is because there is a solution.

I've read that the old defective pieces were light colored (white?) and that the new improved replacement parts were dark (black?) colored. Don't know that for a fact, but it's what I have read. And that that is one way to tell if the fix has been done on the car. Makes sense.

The replacement parts are still available on eBay. Comes with instructions. And not unreasonably priced, imo. Here's one seller and I see there are others also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284555162432

Good luck and keep us updated.
    Awesome thanks man, that’s the exact problem I’m having. The white plastic piece just fell apart in about 4 pieces in my hands. I had no idea that Ford had a recall on them. Wonder if Ford would still warranty the recall? Doubt it. I was half thinking of getting my welder friend to put a tack on each side of the bar to hold it in. Seems like it be stronger than a little brittle plastic piece holding it in. Lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Good deal. And you're welcome.

I think that bar needs to slide a little in the buckle, so I'm not sure if welding it in place would be a good idea. It may compromise some aspect of the belt's operation. I'd think the replacement part solves the problem.

I'd be surprised if Ford even has the repair parts after all this time. May be worth a call. Still, I'd be more comfortable doing the fix myself though.

Here's another thread on the topic that may provide some more insight into it....

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ll-information
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Good deal. And you're welcome.

I think that bar needs to slide a little in the buckle, so I'm not sure if welding it in place would be a good idea. It may compromise some aspect of the belt's operation. I'd think the replacement part solves the problem.

I'd be surprised if Ford even has the repair parts after all this time. May be worth a call. Still, I'd be more comfortable doing the fix myself though.

Here's another thread on the topic that may provide some more insight into it....

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ll-information
    Ok thanks, ya probably not a great idea to weld. Just thought it would be a quick fix until new belts came if I had to order them. My son works at a ford dealer and checked my vin for the recall. According to him the recall is still active and it’s for the life of the vehicle. He’s having a problem finding the parts though. He’s going to call Ford and see what’s up.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Maybe you could supply the parts (~$20-$33 on eBay) and have Ford do the repair. Probably would need to be in an intact FoMoCo bag for them to do it though. Just guessing. Even then they may not want to use customer-supplied parts, in today's litigious world.

I still would be more comfortable doing the fix myself. The less "other-people-that-I-don't-know-for-sure-they-know-what-they're-doing" that touch my car, the better. I'd bet whoever would do it, that it'd be their first (and maybe only) time doing it. 35+ year old car and all. I know it'd be your first time also, but nobody is going to take more time and effort to do something right on your car than you. Plus it doesn't look real difficult, looking at that referenced thread and the included instructions.

And post 7 on that thread actually tells of it being installed wrong by the Ford service tech!

I bought and installed the recall kit for mine a few years ago. Was a simple 5 minute fix. Kit came with detailed instructions. I purchased my kit from eBay also.

Picture of kit when I installed them:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1913799

The one in the picture was what left of my remaining original. The new ones were black as stated above.

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Maybe you could supply the parts (~$20-$33 on eBay) and have Ford do the repair. Probably would need to be in an intact FoMoCo bag for them to do it though. Just guessing. Even then they may not want to use customer-supplied parts, in today's litigious world.

I still would be more comfortable doing the fix myself. The less "other-people-that-I-don't-know-for-sure-they-know-what-they're-doing" that touch my car, the better. I'd bet whoever would do it, that it'd be their first (and maybe only) time doing it. 35+ year old car and all. I know it'd be your first time also, but nobody is going to take more time and effort to do something right on your car than you. Plus it doesn't look real difficult, looking at that referenced thread and the included instructions.

And post 7 on that thread actually tells of it being installed wrong by the Ford service tech!
    Well I’m going to find out because I ordered the parts from the link you posted. Lol Thanks again for that. Shouldn’t be too hard to replace but I guess we will see. I will update the thread when the parts arrive and I attempt to fix.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    I bought and installed the recall kit for mine a few years ago. Was a simple 5 minute fix. Kit came with detailed instructions. I purchased my kit from eBay also.

Picture of kit when I installed them:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1913799

The one in the picture was what left of my remaining original. The new ones were black as stated above.

Thanks, glad to know it’s a easy job. Kind of figured it wouldn’t be too bad but you never know with Ford Engineering lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Power Member

I keep spare sets in my car just in case I run into someone at a show needing it. I typically buy them for $10.

The dealer fixed my Capri back in 2003. They were not sure what to do at first.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Kinda wished I thought to ask this question before I ordered a complete replacement set from National Parts Depot, having experienced the exact failure described above. It arrived the day before I found this discussion . So...I installed it anyway, and the new set seems to be a VERY good replacement, down to the stitching pattern on the belt material, and the buckles themselves. Consider this a good review, then, not only for the seat belt assembly, but also for NPD since they always ship quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke85 View Post
    Kinda wished I thought to ask this question before I ordered a complete replacement set from National Parts Depot, having experienced the exact failure described above. It arrived the day before I found this discussion . So...I installed it anyway, and the new set seems to be a VERY good replacement, down to the stitching pattern on the belt material, and the buckles themselves. Consider this a good review, then, not only for the seat belt assembly, but also for NPD since they always ship quickly.
    Good to know, the ndp ones are probably the same as the lmr kit which I was going to order before posting this. I’m still going to order new seatbelts all around as imo replacing 38 year old belts can’t be a bad thing. I just wanted a cheap fix so I can drive the car this summer a bit. New belts will be added to the list of off season projects lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt