Close

Default correct paint codes

Greetings, all:

I'm actually ready to paint the 86GT soon and want the correct paint. I want to be sure on the trim. Looks like SEM 39153 is best for the charcoal gray but what about the semi gloss black for the door handles and antenna base and I think wipers?

Thanks everyone.

Look at my post #6 here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...m-from-factory The SEM is too light and doesn't match. The door handles, door locks, antenna base, wiper arms, etc. are black. I think the door locks are anodized so if you can leave them be I would...and did on mine when I went through it 10+ years ago, but they were in good condition.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure about the SEM paint; it was talked about a good bit. Having trouble finding the recipe for the paint you mentioned. Also, what is the correct black for the trim that requires black? I'm having trouble finding a local shop that will paint the car. Not sure how good at matching colors the local folks might be. Thanks again.

It is a Sherwin Williams Genesis Reduced Gloss and the specific product color numbers are GF3-40664-00-A (paint) and GH1091 (hardener) which is mixed 4 (paint) to 1 (hardener) to achieve the satin sheen. The mix design can be looked up from this Sherwin Williams paint number. It did need a little accelerator to help kick it off and react and we added about 60 grams additional black tint. This is a single stage commercial grade urethayne and should hold up really well over time.

Here are 2 links for the threads when I was in the process a dozen years ago...took me awhile to find them.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...erwin+williams

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...erwin+williams
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic82 View Post
    Greetings, all:

I'm actually ready to paint the 86GT soon and want the correct paint. I want to be sure on the trim. Looks like SEM 39153 is best for the charcoal gray but what about the semi gloss black for the door handles and antenna base and I think wipers?

Thanks everyone.
    PPG Concept single stage--DCC 33717 is the best color match for the OEM charcoal grey of the 85/86 cars. Much better than the SEM and will hold up much better long term.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks all for the info. I like the PPG paint route. Higher quality and longer lasting. Now I just need to find a place to do the work. Body and paint are not my specialty. Apparently they aren't easily found around here either.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic82 View Post
    Thanks all for the info. I like the PPG paint route. Higher quality and longer lasting. Now I just need to find a place to do the work. Body and paint are not my specialty. Apparently they aren't easily found around here either.
    That's probably true as compared to the SEM product, but I doubt it as compared to the Sherwin Williams commercial product I utilized. The PPG is more like a middle of the road product between the two, but will probably do fine...
    HAD

HAVE

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    That's probably true as compared to the SEM product, but I doubt it as compared to the Sherwin Williams commercial product I utilized. The PPG is more like a middle of the road product between the two, but will probably do fine...
    I have never sprayed the Sherwin Williams, but I am sure it is a quality product. I have used their paint for years in commercial and residential construction, but never their automotive line. Unfortunately for me the closest Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store is 188 miles away.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have never sprayed the Sherwin Williams, but I am sure it is a quality product. I have used their paint for years in commercial and residential construction, but never their automotive line. Unfortunately for me the closest Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store is 188 miles away.
    I understand...fortunately for me I have the regular residential, automotive, industrial, etc. Sherwin Williams paint stores close and get a discount to boot. We also have the PPG paint stores close, but I typically don't get decent information out of them...unlike the Sherwin Williams representatives, but that's probably because I'm an Architect and they know I'm up to speed on specifications. PPG is a good product and that's what was utilized for the white part of the paint on my car as that was supplied by the guy who painted it. He wanted me to supply the dark charcoal accent given there was not a mix design for it. When I put the car back together in 2012, my goal was for it to last another 25-30 years and that accent paint will probably go beyond that...
    HAD

HAVE