Close

Default Hole in Door Jam

Hey all,
    I am looking at an '83 GLX for possible purchase. In one of the pictures I noticed a mysterious hole in the door jam. The hole is in the rear of the door opening a few inches below the striker pin. What is this hole? Is it supposed to be there?

Name:  GLX Interior (2).jpg
Views: 97
Size:  33.3 KB

I think I answered my own question. It looks like there should be an electrical switch there. Dome light I assume. Well, not actually a dome light, with these being a vert, probably the lights that are in the door panels or maybe a light under the dash. Does anyone know if these switches are available from any of the resto part suppliers? I looked at LMR and the switches they have look different than what I see in pictures of cars that came up in my search.

Last I looked they are not available. It's a seat belt release switch. My drivers side did the same thing when I was striping the car down for paint. I wound up pushing them inside the body cavity and putting a rubber insert to cover. That way, if and when somebody starts making them, I can get it back to looking factory.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks bwguardian. A quick Google search found a couple of switches for sale on Ebay for $35 and $40 and one of the restoration parts sites had repop bezels for $9. On the car I am looking at, I can't tell from the pictures if the switch is still there and just the bezel broke or if both the switch and bezel are missing. Regardless, in either case, it looks like the situation could be remedied fairly inexpensively.

Quote Originally Posted by skcj213 View Post
    Thanks bwguardian. A quick Google search found a couple of switches for sale on Ebay for $35 and $40 and one of the restoration parts sites had repop bezels for $9. On the car I am looking at, I can't tell from the pictures if the switch is still there and just the bezel broke or if both the switch and bezel are missing. Regardless, in either case, it looks like the situation could be remedied fairly inexpensively.
    The problem from what I remember...it's been awhile...is there is a cable that connects the switch to the seatbelt actuator. That cable is the problem to make it function. So you may be able to get it to look correct, but not really function.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The problem from what I remember...it's been awhile...is there is a cable that connects the switch to the seatbelt actuator. That cable is the problem to make it function. So you may be able to get it to look correct, but not really function.
    Gotcha. I think as long as I can make it look right, I would be good with that. What does the thing actually do? Release tension on the seat belt when the door is opened? As long as the seat belt retracts OK, I think I am good with it not working.

As mentioned above, the cable and plunger should be attached to the seatbelt assembly inside the rear quarter. When the small plastic bezel breaks, the plunger can easily pop back insde the body and leave the opening. If your plungers are missing or do not work, you can usually find a dome head body plug that will fill the opening and at least make it look finished. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Just go get a body plug and be done with it...

Name:  Mustaing seatbelt plug.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  382.1 KB
    HAD

HAVE

Ok, Ok, I get it. Don't worry about the tensioner switch. I am just putting together a list of negotiating points and trying to understand costs to fix stuff that I see in then pics.

Ok, Ok, I get it. Don't worry about the tensioner switch. I am just putting together a list of negotiating points and trying to understand costs to fix stuff that I see in then pics.

In that case its a major problem and you will need an expert technician to repair.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    In that case its a major problem and you will need an expert technician to repair.

If I remember correctly, the whole seatbelt assembly has to be replaced, which includes the attached cable, switch, etc....and that is if you can find one that doesn't already have this issue.
    HAD

HAVE