Close

Default Slate gray: what color was the mouldings/trim from factory?

Hey guys, bought a 85 slate gray coupe where the moldings got the Sem 18 treatment. I don’t feel that’s factory, but I’m not sure as I’ve never seen another one. Anyone here have an original?
    86 Capri-84 LTD a wagon-85 notch-86 notch

The moldings were not painted from the factory. They would have been natural black rubber, kind of a matte finish. The corresponding portion of the front and rear bumpers were painted black to match the moldings with a similar sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by skcj213 View Post
    The moldings were not painted from the factory. They would have been natural black rubber, kind of a matte finish. The corresponding portion of the front and rear bumpers were painted black to match the moldings with a similar sheen.
    This is not correct. The bumper cover back then where/are a yellow/orange color. All the moldings were painted black for the 79-84 year models and the 85/86 year models were painted the dark charcoal grey trim color.

The trim colors are a matte/satin finish depending on which paint supplier you ask.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trey,
    I owned a '79 from 1985 until 1991 and the body side moldings were not painted. They were natural with the pinstripes painted in the valley in the middle. The purpose of the rubber moldings was to prevent door dings. Painting them would be counter to their purpose. Back in the day I don't remember seeing cars with factory painted moldings until the later years, such as the Summer Edition Convertibles. I agree that the bumper covers were yellow and the molding on the covers was painted black. I see a lot of fox bodies with the side moldings painted and it always bothers me because it just doesn't look right. Especially when they are gloss black.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Interesting...
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 05-06-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: '85, blk vs. grey

Trey is correct...the 85 and 86 year model Mustangs were the only years the trim color was dark charcoal gray. Ford didn't release a paint recipe for it...and the SEM is not correct or a good match, it's too light of a gray. Luckily my 85 Mustang GT convertible was a good friend of mine that bought it new when he worked at Ford Aerospace. He had documentation plus some parts I gave him from a wrecked 86 convertible with like 600 miles in 1986 that he put up in storage out of the sun. So when I got the 85 from him, these parts...windshield trim, quarter windows/trim, etc....were in like new condition. When I went through the car I took the trim to Sherwin Williams Automotive and had them color match the windshield trim piece. I then had my painter sample spray a piece and compared once dry. It was 2-3 trips to Sherwin Williams, but we matched it exactly. The paint I utilized is a commercial type that Pepsi, Coke, Budweiser, etc. utilize as it has a hardener that creates a satin sheen. I've put that recipe on this site to help folks like you looking for the correct paint color match and you should be able to do a search and find it. It's not the cheapest route to go, but you will be happy and it will last a long time...which I had no problem with given it's a 2 tone lower accent, same dark charcoal gray color...and mine still looks like the day it was sprayed 10+ years ago! I also had the hood stripe painted with the same paint as it's also the dark charcoal gray from the factory...though it was a sticker instead of paint...
    Last edited by bwguardian; 05-05-2022 at 11:51 AM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for the knowledge bwguardian. Between my wife and I, we owned a '79 hatch, '83 GLX, '88 LX and a '91 LX. I didn't remember any of those cars having painted body side moldings. My father-in-law had an '86 GT that he bought new. Unfortunately, someone crossed the centerline and hit him head on and totaled it before I was dating his daughter. Without first hand knowledge of the '85 and '86, I didn't realize they were different.

Trey,
    I hope I didn't offend by disagreeing. I know I am new around the site and meant no disrespect.

Trey,
    I owned a '79 from 1985 until 1991 and the body side moldings were not painted. They were natural with the pinstripes painted in the valley in the middle. The purpose of the rubber moldings was to prevent door dings. Painting them would be counter to their purpose. Back in the day I don't remember seeing cars with factory painted moldings until the later years, such as the Summer Edition Convertibles. I agree that the bumper covers were yellow and the molding on the covers was painted black. I see a lot of fox bodies with the side moldings painted and it always bothers me because it just doesn't look right. Especially when they are gloss black.
    Thanks for the knowledge bwguardian. Between my wife and I, we owned a '79 hatch, '83 GLX, '88 LX and a '91 LX. I didn't remember any of those cars having painted body side moldings. My father-in-law had an '86 GT that he bought new. Unfortunately, someone crossed the centerline and hit him head on and totaled it before I was dating his daughter. Without first hand knowledge of the '85 and '86, I didn't realize they were different.

Trey,
    I hope I didn't offend by disagreeing. I know I am new around the site and meant no disrespect.
    You are both correct. I misread the post earlier and thought it was about the moldings on the bumper covers. Yes, the body side moldings were molded in color in black and just had the painted on stripes.

NO offense taken. I wasn't trying to offend or be a jerk either, just trying to help explain the differences of the different year models in the Four Eyed camp. Unfortunately it helps if I read the post correctly or have more coffee in the morning before posting.

Matching the matte/satin black trim is pretty easy with most trim paints (SEM, Etc) these days. As BWGuardian mentioned the charcoal grey can be a real pain in the backside. When you get it right it looks great, when you don't well . . . .
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller