Close

Default 1979 mustang headlight bezels don't fit.

I recently bought a 1979 notch back. The car didn't come with the headlight bezels. I bought the only set they offered on lmr. I assume there's a different bezel for this bumper, because these aren't close to fitting.

Last edited by samuelrjackson; 05-03-2022 at 11:03 AM.

Last edited by samuelrjackson; 05-03-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Looks to me like they are upside down. And maybe on the wrong sides.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Your car may be a 1979 but your fascia is not. The fascia is an 83/84 fascia. The headlight bezels for the 2 would certainly be different since the 83/84 grille sides are angled, the 1979 thru 1982 grille sides are straight. Google 1979 Mustang and take a look. you will see the difference.

BTW, fascia = bumper. The industry term for the plastic skin on the front of the car is a fascia. Technically, the bumper is the structure behind the fascia that absorbs impact.

Last edited by skcj213; 05-03-2022 at 01:29 PM.

There are no bezels on the 83-86 Mustangs. There are the headlight trim rings that hold the headlight in the buckets and then on the front bumper cover is the headlight dividers that rivet in place. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-13064CPR/83...t-Divider-Bars

As stated the headlight bezels for the 79-82 cars will not fit the 83-86 Mustangs. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Is it me or are the headlights not sitting correctly in that fascia? Could the car still have the '79 header panel in it? I'm pretty sure the header panel is different from a '79 to a '83/84. Is it even possible to mount a '83/84 fascia to a '79 header panel? If so, that may be why the headlights don't look like they are positioned correctly. Or am I seeing something that really isn't there?
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

It's hard to tell what is going on from the picks. the OP has the bezels sitting around the headlights which makes it difficult to see. There are so many parts that will interchange from year to year that the 79-82 header panel may very well bolt to the 83/84 fascia. I see a lot of cars with mix and match parts from different years.

The 79-82 header panel does not correctly fit the 83-86 cars. Not saying it would be impossible, but there are significant differences between the bumper covers and the header panels.

Hard to tell from the photos, but not 100% sure the header panel is properly attached to the bumper cover based on the pictures. That could be part of the reason something looks off. Or could just be the wrong header panel.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you for all the replies. I would guess the header panel wasn't switched, not all the holes on the top of the bumper line up. And fwiw I've been painting cars and bumpers for 20 years in Michigan and Wisconsin. We don't call them fascias up here. Probably the same as the whole wheel, tire or rim debate

No worries on bumper vs fascia. I work for a tier 1 automotive supplier that manufactures fascia.

Unfortunately, looking at your pictures without the bezel, it looks like someone has cut open the headlight buckets in your '83 bumper. There should be a divider between the low beam and high beam headlights and a hider flange closing the gap around the sides. To fix that, you are looking at sourcing a new fascia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the quick response! Good thing I can Paint a new "fascia" myself lol

FEP Senior Member

How about we settle on bumper cover? At least that is what I call them.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by samuelrjackson View Post
    ......not all the holes on the top of the bumper line up. ......
    A good clue there...

Quote Originally Posted by skcj213 View Post
    ........ it looks like someone has cut open the headlight buckets in your '83 bumper. ......
    This.

And, fyi, that headlight divider is available seperately.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)