Close

Thread: Low vacuum

FEP Member

Default Low vacuum

84 Ltd lx 347, t5
    Purchased a low mile 347 built by a reputable engine shop. The engine originally had a Holley 750 carb and made 450 hp on the dyno. The previous owner switched out the carb for a Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 fuel injection system. Everything I have read says my idle vacuum should be 14-15. My current system idle vacuum is 7.5, and my power brakes are pretty weak. I have checked everything for a vacuum leak, any suggestions.

...need more specifics like cam specs play a big part. I don't know anything about that fuel injection system, but does it have jets and/or butterflies like a carb that allow more or less fuel and air?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I have that problem with my car, probably because the cam has a lot of overlap. I installed one of these vacuum reservoirs and it helped. I can't say the problem is entirely gone but there was a noticeable improvement. The brakes have always worked fine other than when the engine is at idle like when backing out of the garage, and the reservoir did help there. I keep thinking I'll just change over to manual brakes some day but I've been saying that for years so it may never happen.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Member

Not sure about the cam, on the build sheet it says custom ground cam. It has injectors on the intake manifold.

Injectors on the manifold doesn't affect vacuum. It is just where the fuel is introduced. Port instead of common manifold/tbi type injection.
    A vacuum storage canister might be what you need if you are certain there are no leaks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"