Close

Default Need New Fairmont Windshield...

I need to find an auto glass supplier who can get me a new replacement windshield for a '1980 Ford Fairmont Sedan'. The supplier for my local glass shop says that this windshield is no longer available. I've contacted a few other glass suppliers myself but only one replied and they too said that this windshield is not available.

Can anybody give me the name of an auto glass manufacturer/supplier who can get me a new windshield for a Fairmont? With all of the Fox-chassis cars still on the road I find it hard to believe that there aren't any new windshields available. Ideally, I would like to find a supplier here in Canada but I'm willing to order one from the States if that's what I need to do.

Any help with this issue would be most sincerely appreciated. Many thanks...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '82 Zephyr GS Two Door 3.3
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '80 Fairmont Sedan 3.3 (X2)
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

When i needed a new windshield for my Zephyr, i used windshieldstogo.com believe it or not they found my windshield the same day and i went and picked it up.

https://windshieldstogo.com/

I hope you have similar luck!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    When i needed a new windshield for my Zephyr, i used windshieldstogo.com believe it or not they found my windshield the same day and i went and picked it up.

Thanks for that. I'll give them a try. I noticed that two of their suppliers are 'PWG' and 'Pilkington'. I've already checked with 'PWG' and they said that the glass was no longer available and I haven't heard back yet from 'Pilkinton'. How long ago was it since you replaced the glass on your Zephyr???
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

On a side note, what is it like now getting new parts for Fox Fords in the United States. Here in Canada, the availability has really been bad for about the last six or seven years. I can no longer find the tires nor the shocks that I want. Things like gaskets and radiator hoses have become very hard to find and brutally expensive if you can find them. And even brake shoes are now a special order. The last exhaust pipes that I needed I had to have custom made. It is becoming a real PITA trying to get new parts for these cars now...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
    Thanks for that. I'll give them a try. I noticed that two of their suppliers are 'PWG' and 'Pilkington'. I've already checked with 'PWG' and they said that the glass was no longer available and I haven't heard back yet from 'Pilkinton'. How long ago was it since you replaced the glass on your Zephyr???
    It was within the last 2 years.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
    On a side note, what is it like now getting new parts for Fox Fords in the United States. Here in Canada, the availability has really been bad for about the last six or seven years. I can no longer find the tires nor the shocks that I want. Things like gaskets and radiator hoses have become very hard to find and brutally expensive if you can find them. And even brake shoes are now a special order. The last exhaust pipes that I needed I had to have custom made. It is becoming a real PITA trying to get new parts for these cars now...
    I think it depends on your location, and which parts are needed/what year car you have. I was able to get parking brake cables from Raybestos, some stuff from LMR, and Ebay. Other than that it is slim pickins for parts so i feel your pain

It was within the last 2 years.
    Thanks again. That gives me hope. That last Fairmont windshield that I bought was about four or five years ago...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

I think it depends on your location, and which parts are needed/what year car you have. I was able to get parking brake cables from Raybestos, some stuff from LMR, and Ebay. Other than that it is slim pickins for parts so i feel your pain
    Just recently I found a molded rubber lower radiator hose manufactured by Goodyear that I needed for a 200ci Fairmont engine. It was the only one that I could find and it took a lot of searching to get it! I had initially contacted Gates using a Gates' part number. Gates told me that there wasn't a single Gates lower radiator hose with that part number found in stock in all of North America...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

UPDATE: I have checked with 'Carlex' (Carlite) and 'PWG' who are both suppliers for 'Windshieldstogo' but there has been no luck there. Still waiting to hear back from 'Pilkington'. I still have one good windshield in parts car that I can use but that will be the absolute last resort as the parts car is still roadworthy...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

I hope it works out for you

FEP Senior Member

Pilkington has a Classics division that deals with older windshields that aren't real mainstream anymore. I'd say they are probably your best bet for a new part.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Pilkington has a Classics division that deals with older windshields that aren't real mainstream anymore. I'd say they are probably your best bet for a new part.
    I had contacted 'Pilkington' a few days ago but they haven't yet replied. As of today, I 'might' have found a windshield. I am waiting to hear back from the seller as to whether or not the windshield is new or used and on the shipping costs. I am hoping for a new windshield. I have a used windshield installed in a parts car that I can pull myself as a last resort...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

I hope it works out for you
    Well I've found a glass shop here in Canada that says they can get me the windshield that I need. I am currently waiting to hear back from them with shipping prices. And the windshield does seem to still be available in the States. But I am hoping to avoid the international shipping charges. With all the Fox Fords still on the road, I was a little surprised to find that the big name suppliers had no stock...

(And I have just found out today that the glass is indeed coming from the States. Apparently there are no new Fox Ford windshields to be found anywhere in Canada.)

https://www.glassrack.net/diywifofa2do9.html

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/dw884t.html
    Last edited by Autolite; 05-04-2022 at 12:31 PM.
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

UPDATE:
    The new windshield has been received and installed! It is a 'PGW Windshield', part number 'DW00948'. The glass was found in the States by a shop in Quebec and was then shipped to another shop in Ontario before reaching it final destination here in Alberta. I can't believe it made it all that way undamaged! I wasn't able to find out who the original supplier was but I suspect that the glass was NOS. I had initially check with the manufacturer PGW and they told me that this windshield was "no longer available". I am now assuming that this windshield is very likely no longer available in Canada...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

Glad to hear you finally found one!

Wow, what an ordeal to get a windshield. I just has the one in my '93 replaced for $225 a couple months ago and its a Pilkington.

Also, I thought Carlite was the OEM glass for the Fords was made by Carlex for Ford under the Carlite brand? I was unaware that PPG (now Vitro and out of Mexico) ever supplied Ford OEM glass for the Fox cars but I could be wrong here.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...1&d=1418488062
    '83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1418488063
    '93 331W Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    Wow, what an ordeal to get a windshield. I just has the one in my '93 replaced for $225 a couple months ago and its a Pilkington.

Also, I thought Carlite was the OEM glass for the Fords was made by Carlex for Ford under the Carlite brand? I was unaware that PPG (now Vitro and out of Mexico) ever supplied Ford OEM glass for the Fox cars but I could be wrong here.
    I had contacted Pilkington but they never did get back to me. I had also contacted Carlex/Carlite and they told me that my windshield was no longer available. I have PPG glass in one or two of my Fox Fords but PPG was sold to PGW and then PGW was sold to 'One Firm Equity Partners'. I would still very much like to find a distributor/supplier or manufacturer from whom I can order direct. With all of the Fox Fords still on the road, I still cannot believe that I had so much trouble finding a windshield.

What is the part number on your Pilkington windshield???
    Last edited by Autolite; 06-23-2022 at 10:43 PM.
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

Well call me a liar...its a Carlite with P/N DW01095GBN. I remember my body shop guy saying it would be a Pilkington so I never even looked and assumed that is what I got. I called him and he said that is what his glass guy normally installs but the Carlite was available so that is what I got.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...1&d=1418488062
    '83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1418488063
    '93 331W Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    Well call me a liar...its a Carlite with P/N DW01095GBN. I remember my body shop guy saying it would be a Pilkington so I never even looked and assumed that is what I got. I called him and he said that is what his glass guy normally installs but the Carlite was available so that is what I got.
    I just checked the windshield in my '86 Mustang LX. It is a Carlite W-1019. I was just assuming that all Fox Fords had the same windshields. They don't. I measured it. The Mustang/Capri windshield is actually smaller than the Fairmont/Zephyr/Ltd/Marquis windshields...
    Current Fox Fleet
    '80 Zephyr Sedan 3.3
    '81 Fairmont Sedan 5.0
    '86 Mustang LX 4.2

I was watching one of the car shows on tv...maybe "Wheeler Dealers" and they had a glass guy cut them a windshield that was unavailable. Basically, he went into the warehouse and check the old cracked windshield against several newer mass-produced windshields. Camry, f150, Cobalt, xterra... you name it. All he was looking for was another windshield that had a similar curve and was at least as large as the one he needed. Once a good match was found, it was trimmed down and cut edges smoothed out with a belt sander. Cutting laminated glass is a little more involved, but doable. Most of the newer basic windshields are cheap ($50-100 pre-covid prices of course). So if you mess up on one, it's not a big deal.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4