Close

Question Capri Problems / Mechanical to Electric Fuel Pump / Holley Sniper

As usual problems with my car always comes in 2s! A month ago, my Capri wouldn't start after I changed from the old-style prop rod to the engine hood hikers instead. They look and work great BTW! I thought I might have shorted out the solenoid when unhooking the battery because the car wouldn't turn over, it would just click. With some trouble shooting I found out the starter motor gear had locked against the flywheel gear and wasn't allowing the starter to recoil back or turn over. I got it loose by moving the car in gear and got it working again but now the starter is noisy, so I need to eventually pull the starter motor and get it looked at. I am just hoping it didn't damage the ring gear on the flywheel but at least now I could start the car.

Then two weekends ago I took the Capri out just to keep the battery charged up and I believe the mechanical fuel pump died on me. The car basically acted like it was running out of fuel, but I had a full tank, and I couldn't smell gas. I called AAA and had the car towed back to my house. I am now considering what I want to do. The fuel pump that is in the car is around 15 years old and because the car is only a monthly to Bi-monthly cruiser it can be really tough on a diaphragm style mechanical pump. I was thinking about switching the car down the road to a Holley Sniper EFI system, so I am considering just switching it over to an electric fuel pump now and I am wondering how difficult it is to make the change and what needs to be done to make it work.

Also has anyone tried the Holley Sniper EFI system? I have read a lot of good reviews praising it but I always take those with a grain of salt when someone is getting paid to review a product

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

The sniper can be purchased with the pump and everything needed. The biggest pain will probably be the return line that won't be there on your engine. If I remember right, to do a stock conversion you would need a different fuel tank.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I have a Sniper EFI on my 83 GT. The hardest part was running the supply and return lines. I used the old metal supply line as the return, and routed a new supply line, since it required a larger internal diameter. The rest of the kit is straightforward and easy to setup.

I started with Holley's kit that came with the in-line pump. I honestly wouldn't recommend the kit, as I found the in-line pump to be incredibly loud. I switched to an in-tank pump from Holley which is much nicer. The Sniper itself has worked amazingly well.

Thanks for the replies! Very useful information

Quote Originally Posted by Joergermeister View Post
    I have a Sniper EFI on my 83 GT. The hardest part was running the supply and return lines. I used the old metal supply line as the return, and routed a new supply line, since it required a larger internal diameter. The rest of the kit is straightforward and easy to setup.

I started with Holley's kit that came with the in-line pump. I honestly wouldn't recommend the kit, as I found the in-line pump to be incredibly loud. I switched to an in-tank pump from Holley which is much nicer. The Sniper itself has worked amazingly well.
    I looked at the Holley full EFI Sniper kit with the pump and wasn't too sure if it was going to be a good solution and you probably saved me some cash and trouble. I will most likely spend the extra money for the better upgrade. Did you end up doing the full fuel system upgrade or a mix of old and new parts?

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Mine was a mix of old and new. Leveraged the old fuel feed line as a return, ran a new feed line, left the original sending unit in, and made a new hole in the gas tank for an in-tank pump. I also had to fabricate a new throttle bracket for the throttle cable. The in-tank pump had an inlet filter, so I only needed an after pump filter. My BBK long tube headers had a spot for the O2 sensor already.

Once it was all wired and fuel lines ran, the system works great. Fired right up after priming the pump, and runs great. The only thing that took me a bit of time to figure out from a tuning perspective was getting the idle right, but I have that honed in now as well.

Good luck!

Since the Sniper runs at 58 psi, I’d just run a ‘01 Vette filter with an EFI tank/pump. It’s a filter, regulator, and return in one. Just need to adapt to 3/8”. I posted about this in another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Isn't he also going to need to add an O2 sensor to the mix for the Sniper to self-tune? Assuming he doesn't already have one.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

I have a set of 1 5/8" Hooker shorties that have the O2 fitting built in already, although I am thinking of buying some nice 1 3/4" shorty headers with O2 instead when I make the switch to EFI.

Robert

My RS in Action