Close

Default Brand Spanking New 82 Capri

Picked up this "new' 82 Capri back on 1-Apr and already been getting some good info from this site.

Car is in pretty solid shape paint / body wise, but the interior needs a lot of attention.

First thing I do on any vehicle like this is change all the fluids which appear to be 'original' , so I've been
    changing everything that drips, oozes or gushes out when plugs / stopper / bleeder vales are removed or opened,
    and addressing a few other necessities (having attached interior door handles are quite useful),
    which is taken a while, so just getting to post here as a 'newbie'.

Whether this is a true RS or not, is still out to pasture, but I'm sure there's help here to get it figured out.

5 speed / V8, what is not to love here!!

Cheers,
    Steve (aka FlatTop)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

FEP Power Member

Nice looking Capri! Is that mud water or brake fluid?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

The fluid in the master cylinder was more like septic tank sludge. The brake pedal went all the way to the floor but worked
    This was the first thing I addressed. Bleeding the entire system was a treat. The front calipers survived, but the rear slave cylinders
    not so much. As the bleeders are tiny, one broke off even after soaking overnight in penetrant (no surprise here). I was able to loosen the other side
    but no fluid would come out. Both slave cylinders got replaced, entire brake system now with new fluid and brakes are solid.

May sound like a bit much, to some after purchasing a new ride of any sort, but its mine now, and I have this mechanical inclination to restore / fix / make things better (the right way of course), so the Capri is a great outlet for this activity, I don’t actually see it as work, but practicing the craft.

FEP Power Member

I agree on replacing all fluids when buying a new/old car just to give it a fresh start on a new life.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

So just realised that while I introduced the car, did not say much about myself in the 'New User Introductions' .

Been in VA all my life and spent high school years working evenings and weekends at my Grand Fathers Service Station. My brother and 2 uncles worked there also, and all had muscle cars. Ex... Brother - 65 Mustang fastback 351W, 4 Spd, Uncles had 66 Corvette Stingray 427, 4 spd, 71 Camaro LS7 454, full race automatic... and so on. Me... I drove a 74 Datsun 710 4 Dr, automatic .. an economy car... my head was somewhere else back then.

The summer of 83 (year I graduated) it all changed. My uncle w/ 71 Camaro, replaced my aunts 75 Capri, with an brand spanking new 82 Capri 5.0L, manual trans. She did not like the car in comparison to her 75 Capri, uses too much gas, spins the tires too easily, too loud...etc.

A lot of the family would gather together for vacations at the Outer Bank NC, beaches (we talking 20 people +). Since me and my cousin (1 yr younger) were somewhat nerds, quiet, did not chase the girls they way all the other knucklehead boys in the family did, our parents thought it would be OK to let us use the 82 Capri, to cruise the 'strip' each night. 'HUGE MISTAKE" !!.

During that week, we found out what the 'Muscle Car' hype was all about for us youngsters. Girls actually looked at us, free beer ended up in our hands way too many times for 17 & 18 year olds, stop lights turning green (while sitting next to a seemingly fast car) took on a whole new meaning.
    By the end of that week, our parents had gotten reports from the 'snitches' (other family members) and vowed we would not be driving that Capri again.

Too late... , we had crossed over to the other side, and I've been modifying every car / truck I've owned since, doing most of the wrenching myself.

Some of my past vehicles:
    - 67 Ford Bronco, 289 V8, very modified of course, Manual Transmission, Lift Kit 38.5" tires,
    - 67 Chevy II Nova, 350 V8, .30 Over, Auto Trans, 4.10 Gears
    - 98 Nissan 200SX SER, Built 2.0L 4 Cyl, Manual Trans, Limited Slip Diff
    - 2005 Audi S4, 4.2L V8, 6 spd Manual Trans, quite a few performance mods done
    - 1971 Dodge Power Wagon, 360 V8, Auto Trans, cam, headers, carb...etc mods.
    - 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee, 440 6-Pack, Auto Trans,
    - 1993 Dodge W250 Pickup, Cummins Diesel, Auto Trans (still have this)

My cousin passed away very unexpectedly back when Covid started, but cause was unrelated, and we were pretty close
    throughout the years, even though family and life can consume ALL our time.

We had both always wanted our own Capri, but never got one for who knows why. So when I ran across this one for sale,
    ... well now you know the rest of the story.

So this is mine, and I plan on keeping this car for quite a while, because its really the one that started it all, and just so cool !!

Cheers,

New User

Welcome!! I'm in Barboursville, we're super close!