Close

Default HELP!!! 82' won't stay running in run position

I have an 82 GT and I dropped in a 93 roller motor with carb. Changed the distributor for correct one. I cannot for the life of me keep the car running in run position. Tried new ignition switch. Didn't help. I am not a wiring guy so I need some major help. If someone could guide me to what wires I need to test and what readings they should be that would be great. Thanks

What do you mean by the right distributor? The right dizzy for 93 isn't going to work in a carbed car and the right dizzy for a carbed car might actually have the wrong gear for a 93....
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Pretty common to use an 85 5.0 HO carbed distributor in a 86-93 5.0 as it was the first year roller engine. Need to know what you are using for ignition, like MSD, Crane or factory Duraspark for 1982 to better try to help you.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Did you replace The ignition cylinder or the switch. Does it pop off at all? Is the distributor 180 off? Mine was the ignition switch was covered in mouse piss. The replacement I ordered off eBay was junk leaving the car to do the same as the one covered in pee. It would only run if I held the key just off the starter after it started. My fix was simply clean the factory one with wd40 and some electrical corrosion inhibitor and work the switch. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Carbsovertech; 05-11-2022 at 01:06 AM.

Sorry for not responding. Life happened. I replaced ignition switch. Same result. I think it may be my hot wire to the coil and the resistor wire. I can run a 12v feed from the battery and it will stay running. Does anyone know if the resistor wire is for the coil or the ignition module? Read somewhere else that it's for the module. Guy said module can't handle 12v. Also what colors are the hot and resistor wires coming off the switch? Can the resistor wire be replaced or do I have to use a ballast resistor in line? Thanks