Close

Default Smog Pump Removal?

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question to ask, but I'd rather ask and not screw my car up.

So I have been running an off road H pipe on my car for a few months and left the stock air/smog pump on the car as I really had no need to remove it. I have been wanting to but haven't really gotten the chance. Anyways, I installed new factory pullies on my car and noticed I needed a new belt so I've been considering bypassing the smog pump.

If I bypass the smog pump, can I run the shorter belt and leave the smog pump in place until I get a chance to remove everything? Or should I wait until I can remove the physical pump before bypassing it. I only want to buy one belt, not one for now and another in 2 weeks.

The car is also my DD so I need it running asap so hopefully I can buy a new belt by the end of tomorrow.

Daniel

So you are not running downstream air to a cat? If not then I would just get a smog pump delete pulley. Others will know if you have clearance issues leaving the pump in and running the shorter belt. I find over the long haul being able to just put on stuff that was meant for the car easier. Particularly after some of the mods pile up. My gt40s take a different plug than the stock heads and nearly every time I buy plugs I forget about that...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I put a smaller belt on about 7 years ago and left the pump in place. Never had an issue.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    I put a smaller belt on about 7 years ago and left the pump in place. Never had an issue.
    Thank you, I'll be going on my lunch at school and buying a couple belts to test fit tonight, and return tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    So you are not running downstream air to a cat? If not then I would just get a smog pump delete pulley. Others will know if you have clearance issues leaving the pump in and running the shorter belt. I find over the long haul being able to just put on stuff that was meant for the car easier. Particularly after some of the mods pile up. My gt40s take a different plug than the stock heads and nearly every time I buy plugs I forget about that...
    I get it, I just want to limit moving parts that can go bad thats all, so for me doing a shorter belt is better than an idler pulley since I need a new belt anyways.

I always just gut the pump and leave it in place to do nothing except provide a pulley for the belt.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_4_Eye View Post
    Thank you, I'll be going on my lunch at school and buying a couple belts to test fit tonight, and return tomorrow.
    The belt I ended up using was a little tight on initial install but have yet to have any issues. I forgot what length it is but use the string trick to get the size..
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    The belt I ended up using was a little tight on initial install but have yet to have any issues. I forgot what length it is but use the string trick to get the size..
    With my pullies I have a crank underdrive and then a water pump and alternator overdrive so all 3 pullies are smaller than stock (1993 Cobra pullies from LMR). My car has no A/C from factory and I bypassed the smog so with the power steering where A/C would be, I was able to fit a 71.5" belt on there, could definitely get away with a 72" but they were out of stock and tbh I think the 71.5" fits better and will allow for proper belt stretch and whatnot.

Sounds great!!
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"