Close

Default Strut tower brace

Anyone have strut tower brace installed painted to match the car? I’m thinking of installing a brace from MM and not sure wether to leave it black or change it up to the body color. Post pics of what you have.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

That would be cool getting a STB, chromed(no sticker). I wonder how that would look, also I wonder how many have trouble with Cowl noise, bumping.

No cowl here but I have the mm Strut brace. On my car it looks great black.

I will warn you though, there is no going back. Occasionally I have to take it off to work on stuff and omg the car feels dangerous now without it. Completely changed the cars feel and handling. Best money I spent on it.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Name:  PXL_20220306_182526334_copy_1280x960.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  431.6 KB
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I think I'm propbably going with weld-in SFC's, full-length only. That whole thing with the "caster/camber", etc,etc. I feel like I'm at NASA haha. I like mostly OEM with like Tint & SFCs. Actually, I had a dream one night that my car from 1991 was like this, and parked up on my folks brick patio which would never happen!! lol

The strut brace, caster camber plates, and the sub-frame connectors are the three things every fox body needs. I am still holding out on the sub-frame connectors but only to find a shop I trust or the time to do it myself.

I like the STBs but would hate having to take it off to work on the car. Has anyone made their own STB that has better clearance?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Painted my strut tower bar to match the car. It has been adjusted to fit around a few things but clears well without looking bent up.

1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

With the mod motor in my car, it takes up a lot of space lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Left my Ford Motorsports M-20201-A50 STB black. Black car, black engine bay.
    It gets scratched up and worn however black is easy to touch up.
    I prefer VHT epoxy Satin Black All Weather (strut picture on label) or Chassis Roll Bar high temp? Paint or any semi or gloss black.
    VHT Plate Finish™ paint comes in Chrome Plus, a shiny plated look.

A STB is handy to lean on working in there. Can temp slip on a piece of black water pipe insulating foam for arm cushioning.

Remove/install is no fun. Remove cowl grill, wipers, reach way way up into the fender well to blindly locate socket on bolt heads.
    Then need a pin punch to realign strut holes and start the bolts from the wheel well side...
    Planning to stud the four horz bar mounts rather than using bolts. Two on cowl, two on strut tower.
    The two vertical bolts on the strut tower look like they can be pinned with multi hole clevis pins.
    Figure depth spacing, washers, cotter, on the wheel well side, then temp thread a piece of wire thru it, and pull the pin up thru the hole engine bay side.

The Ford brace and MM have different mounting configs, bolt hole locations.
    Ford brace needs access to inside the cowl for fasteners. MM uses pinch weld holes at the cowl.
    Pretty sure will use flange bolts, flange nuts, maybe body washers, to make up fixed in place 'stud' bolts at the cowl.

I also installed Ford MS SFCs 2004. Not full length, bolted on, diy. Ground clearance change is minimal.
    100k+ miles bolts have not enlarged their holes, nor have the connectors shifted.
    Get them on any way no wait. Makes a positive noticeable difference as to how the car feels.
    Have even used them as jack points in a pinch.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-25-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Do you autocross it? Do those bolt to the seat mounts too?

Default notes sfc stb after install

Me? Car is a high mile daily driver, cruiser. Show car only due to age and being a Cobra have owned since 1980.
    Drag strip once, Ford and GM test track open house once. NASCAR MIS once charity permit 40-50 mph laps for 1/2 hour.
    Long term focus on body and structure, consistent handling, aim tune for max fuel econ vs power.
    Most is DIY, work limited due to few trusted savvy shops, sibling's large car garage is available but across town.

Did not weld sfc yet. Figure bolt in is much better than nothing. If they start moving its mig time.
    They were held in position during install with a floor jack.
    Had to be careful drilling all top holes. Floor pan to drill bit clearance was an issue, no way to drill both holes straight at once.
    That prob is why welding is recommended. Do not want to drill holes elongated. As bolted, they have not moved.
    Added Ford MS seat cross support brackets in 2010, which have cutouts to fit over the Ford MS round tube sfcs.
    Seat studs will be replaced, as they need to be 1/4" or 1/2" longer to provide the right amount of threads for all the seat support nuts.

Also have the gusset plates and x bracing kit installed like 80's vertis have.
    Wish could have snagged the additional z-bar frame rocker rail bracing off a 89-91 conv at the 'yard.
    No 18v tools at the time to drill out 30 some 1/4" rivets that fasten them to the cars. Am ready now.
    Could just by a rail kit or use unistrut instead Plenty of slots to bolt some up.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-07-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Man, that's nice. I obviously have a convertible, I autocross it, and the body flexes something crazy. I suspect I would be pushing it with bolt on. If I promised myself to no longer autocross it...

FEP Member

On a hatchback, how much difference does the STB make? I've looked at them several times, but really don't want to have to drill holes in the inner fenders to mount them. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by 85WhiteGT View Post
    On a hatchback, how much difference does the STB make? I've looked at them several times, but really don't want to have to drill holes in the inner fenders to mount them. TIA
    They definitely make a difference in the rigidity of the Fox unibody. T-top and convertible cars benefit the most due to the compromised top structure or lack thereof, the hatchback will benefit as will the coupe. Drive over a set of rail road tracks that are not perfectly level and flat without the STB and watch the cowl shake. Install the STB and repeat, that will show you the difference quickly and easily.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

It truly is a critical component in my experience. I was a little shy about drilling the holes too but collectors can kiss my a$$. Let them take it off and drive it without it, they will say "I can live with that mod" and put it back on. If somebody were really going to go back to original, filling and sanding those holes is a simple job.

FEP Member

Thanks for the real world experiences. I've got most the other braces, but for some reason, I have the hang up with drilling the inner fenders. I'll have to overcome my fear of the drill lol...

Quote Originally Posted by 85WhiteGT View Post
    Thanks for the real world experiences. I've got most the other braces, but for some reason, I have the hang up with drilling the inner fenders. I'll have to overcome my fear of the drill lol...
    There are so many holes already in the strut towers, I doubt most would even notice the extras.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

2x on that...did not think twice 'bout drilling.
    Again, although bar can get nicked and scratched, touch up or repaint is easy.
    Enhancement and maintenance work is more interesting to experience than repairs.
    After the st brace was temp removed for repair room, the towers spread apart almost 1/2 the dia of the tower holes..
    The bars look cool whether they really work or not. Mod installation for easy removal if it gets in the way of work.

My 86GT has holes for HP Motorsports bar that I ran for 2 1/2 decades and also holes for a Maximum Motorsports I had to buy after swapping intakes over to my Typhoon EFI.

Fortunately the extra holes are mostly hidden under the MM bar. Not that it matters on my 1/2 million mile ruststang.