Close

Default Calling 82 - 86 coupe owners - need door window frame measurement

I have an 81 Carriage Roof Mustang currently in restoration. It needs a new driver's door, but when the resto shop purchased one it was actually an 87 door and as it turns out the window frame on the vertical by the quarter window is wider on the 87 door than on the 81 door.

Pics for comparison:

Here is the 81 door; the frame width is about 1/2 inch (without the inner trim piece):
    Name:  door1c.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  136.6 KB

And the 87 door; the frame width is about 1 inch (excluding the inner trim piece):
    Name:  door2a.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  215.4 KB

I have been able to confirm that the 79 and 80 doors have the same narrower width dimension on the vertical part of the window frame as the 81, but not sure about 82 - 86.

Since we are having difficulty finding an 81 door, I need to know what years' doors have the same size vertical width on the window frame as the 79 - 81, so we know what years we have to choose from.

At the end of the day, I will put the 87 door on the car if I have to (and get a matcher for the passenger side), but I would prefer not to go that route since I don't want to replace the passenger door if I don't have to. The narrower frame would look better with the carriage roof; and of course I would prefer to retain the narrower 81 style for the sake of originality.

So, if you own an 82, 83, 84, 85, or 86 coupe, if you would measure the width of the vertical part of the window frame on the back edge of the door by the quarter window (without the inner trim piece) and post the results here (pic or text "wide 87 style" or "narrow 81 style"), I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Cokeologist; 04-22-2022 at 07:47 AM.

I only have 79-82 doors and the 82 doors I have are the same as my 79 door. I'm pretty sure the window frame changed in the 83 model year, but I can't confirm. I know this isn't what you asked for, but is what I've seen personally. Good luck!
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I only have 79-82 doors and the 82 doors I have are the same as my 79 door. I'm pretty sure the window frame changed in the 83 model year, but I can't confirm. I know this isn't what you asked for, but is what I've seen personally. Good luck!
    After having received such a rousing response here (and with thanks to 1985_SSP), I have verified elsewhere that you are exactly correct; the window frame on 79-82 is the narrow style, and the window frame for 83-on is the wider version. So I am on the hunt for an 81 or 82 driver's door.