Close

Default Updates to the shop

I been busy with another project and haven't given any time to the cars lately. Mainly, I've been fixing up this 1975 Honda cb550k and installing a new compressor and air lines, complete with water separator drains. I feel bad that I had been making a lot of progress on the new (to me) pace car, but I needed a break and the shop needed the air. I hope to be diving into some major paint and body work soon. Well, after I heal up from carpal tunnel surgery end of this month.

Here's the compressor and air line setup:
    Name:  Screenshot_20220417-232440_Gallery.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  259.4 KB
    The blue pipe is 3/4" pex. It's ran about half way around the garage. One drop, you can see in the pic. There's another drop just above my workbench, and another on down another 15 ft or so. Each drop is 1/2" pex and has a regulator/water separator filter. I will eventually be installing a shut off (ball) valve above each of those. I also have a 50' hose reel I'll be mounting at the furthest drop...mounted near the top of the wall in between 2 garage doors. I'll have the entire place covered with service air, as well as the driveway in front of the garage.

Speaking of driveway, a good friend (and his work buddy) came over Saturday and dug out/formed for concrete. We've just had gravel and mud, since it was built a couple yrs ago. If weather permits, they'll pour it this Saturday morning. Well, half of it, anyway. The other half will get poured some time later. The following week, if weather is decent. Here's a pic of the prep work:
    Name:  Screenshot_20220417-233554_Gallery.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  296.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20220417-233645_Gallery.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  348.2 KB

Once this is done, I'll be able to push the cars in and out. Out for sanding, in for primer/paint. I can also push one out if I need extra room for engine/rear end installs and whatnot.

It's been a long time coming. Maybe I'll start making some real progress on some cars now!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Very nice, I have the same compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by 63roundbody View Post
    Very nice, I have the same compressor.
    That's great! How do you like it? I've been wanting a Quincy for years. We had them on my old (river) boat and we never had an ounce of trouble out of them. They seem to run at a lower rpm and pretty quiet. So far, this one seems to run just like the ones I used at work.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Sorry to take so long to reply. I love mine. I've had it about 6 years and not a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by 63roundbody View Post
    Sorry to take so long to reply. I love mine. I've had it about 6 years and not a hiccup.
    Good to know! The one's I'm used to using at work are the larger 3-phase units, but the pumps appear to be very similar in design and quality. They also both use Baldor-Reliance motors, which is what almost all of my pump motors are where I work. Again, good quality US stuff!
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 04-22-2022 at 02:42 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Default The fine garage

Is that a copper aftercooler? Too cool
    Plastic air lines now that's factory quality.
    Heavy duty rack shelves like that are the way to go. Easy to find things. If not, more shelving!
    Again that is warehouse/factory. I use marked plastic bins, totes, clear boxes for parts storage.
    Now lets see..a hang up 5 gal Shop Vac with 18' hose near the doors..mine is very handy.
    The rolling castored type is always in the way taking up space and the hose is cumbersome. Mine now collects dust by itself.
    Work benches are always full. Been using portable ones like Workmate, rolling tool tray table, for projects.
    The portable welder here claimed the rolling shelf cart.
    Also have the big plate magliner hand cart that day shift broke at work. They threw it out, bought me another.
    Got it out of the scrap bin, fixed it, works like new. The 2x larger load plate is way better for moving items.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Is that a copper aftercooler? Too cool
    Plastic air lines now that's factory quality.
    Heavy duty rack shelves like that are the way to go. Easy to find things. If not, more shelving!
    Again that is warehouse/factory. I use marked plastic bins, totes, clear boxes for parts storage.
    Now lets see..a hang up 5 gal Shop Vac with 18' hose near the doors..mine is very handy.
    The rolling castored type is always in the way taking up space and the hose is cumbersome. Mine now collects dust by itself.
    Work benches are always full. Been using portable ones like Workmate, rolling tool tray table, for projects.
    The portable welder here claimed the rolling shelf cart.
    Also have the big plate magliner hand cart that day shift broke at work. They threw it out, bought me another.
    Got it out of the scrap bin, fixed it, works like new. The 2x larger load plate is way better for moving items.
    Technically, it's not a copper aftercooler. I believe that would have to be plumbed in between the pump and tank. But it's the same concept, so it depends on how you look at it, I guess. I haven't had to use the compressor much yet, but it seems to really pull the moisture out. I may eventually add an automatic drain to the tank. The filter/regulators I got are pretty neat. They were cheap, but have a nice feature. When I cut off the air and let the pressure off, they drain automatically. That means I don't have to go around and drain each one individually. The PEX seems to be working out great, as well. So far, I don't believe it has lost a single bit of pressure. I wish I could get my air system at work to not leak lol! Of course, it uses black iron pipe and lots of it. Constant high vibrations and extreme temp changes.

Your mounted shop vac sounds like a great idea. Yes, my roller model is always in the way, along with a bunch of other stuff. I'll check them out. Thx!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

There is always Santa
    Problem with the big rollers is the hose is too short and cumbersome for most use.
    The best feature of the wall shop vac is the 18' hose. Is 1.5" od. Vac is never in the way.
    The hose is very flexible thus easier handling for cleaning under, say car seats, more so than a 2.5".
    Smaller dia = better suction. Is crushproof. Does not kink, coils up real nice.
    Vac itself is shaped to fit close to wall, comes with hanger bracket, bags, tools.

Auto compressor tank drain? The type that cycles like trucks or rr engines when unit is running.
    I keep forgetting to get a cheap kit from HF have run the drain line outside.