Close

Default Opinions please on stainless brake soft lines

Hello all

I am installing a turbocoupe rear end in my 83 mustang and I知 looking to get some stainless soft lines. I found some from LMR that are about $65 listed for a 93 Cobra

https://lmr.com/item/JM-22520-93/199...brake-lines-jm

I originally was going to use the MM lines for a 94-95 which seem like they would work but they are about twice as expensive.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/M...ear-P1222.aspx

All things being equal, I would prefer the MM hoses, but I知 finding it hard to justify the doubling of price.

If it matters, the hard lines that came on the rear end were completely rusted through so I知 just making new ones

What do you gents think? Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Tony

The two kits are not identical. One contains more parts than the other. I installed the MM kit for my front brakes, as i was relocating the location of the hard/soft front lines. Worked grear for me.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Are the TC rear calipers the same as the '94/95 calipers? Looks like the LMR hoses don't have just "typical" banjo fittings on them, they've got those blocky banjos to connect at the calipers - that would make me wonder if the MM style would work right with the calipers you've got.

If you're making your own hard lines on the rear end, one option would be to skip the kits and make your own soft lines, too. You can buy 8" or 10" lengths of 3AN brake hose from a variety of manufacturers - put a banjo fitting on one end, and the appropriate conversion fitting on the other end to mate to the hard lines on the rear end. I don't know that you'll end up saving much money, but it might be worth looking into. I made my own a number of years ago because I have the old, late '90s 12" Baer setup and I didn't feel like paying the "Baer tax" to get new lines from them. Not much to see here, but I used a 3AN banjo fitting on one end, and a 3AN male-to-male fitting on the other end. I was making new hard lines, too, so I just did a 37deg flare on the end of that so I could use the 3AN male-to-male union with a tube nut.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Hoses with a rectangular banjo fitting on the end of them are not clockable, so if you are using different calipers, brackets, rotors, etc, you may run into problems, because you can not adjust the angle that the hose is at relative to the caliper.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support