Close

Default 82 RS looking for 8.8 rear end donor cars?

Hi All,

Im new to the fox body, with a 1982 Capri RS, 5.0L , 5 spd manual, I purchased a short time ago.

Prior owner(s) somewhere along the way built up the engine, but the car still has the 7.5 rear.
    The person I got the car from did not know anything about the rear diff.

Id like to change the 7.5, and swap in the beefier 8.8, but also have other reasons for this.
    - add rear disk brakes
    - convert the wheels to 5 lug
    - ensure limited slip diff happens (I'm not sure if the current 7.5 has it or not, as i've not pulled the cover ... yet)

I have read already in other threads on this subject where 86-93 mustang 8.8 will swap out directly. No modifications required. A 94 - 98, will work but may require using the axles from the 7.5, and maybe a few other suspension pieces.

So are there specific donor cars that I could source such an 8.8 rear end that that would meet the requirements, yet install without a lot of modifications to the 8.8 to mount in the 82 Capri?

Any details would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by FlatTop; 04-07-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Welcome to FEP! Congrats on the 1982 Capri RS, post up pictures for all to enjoy.

The 94-98 Mustang is your best donor for an 8.8 with rear disc brakes. The issue is the wider rear track width can cause wheel/tire fitment on the early Four Eyes. The rear end is a bolt in affair, but there will be things you have to do to make it all work and fit the best.

Any 86-93 Fox 8.8 can be used and swapped to rear disc either by using the 94-98 axles and brakes or buy using aftermarket axles and brakes. There are a ton of options. The best thing to do is to do a search and read the different threads for all the little issues that have to be dealt with when making this type of swap. I am doing the same thing in my 82 RS, but staying 4 lug drum which makes the swap a bit easier and cheaper. Best of Luck and again Welcome to FEP!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I put a '94 rear in my Granada, but swapped my 1981 brake lines over to it and used fox length 4-lug axles. Bigger rear that directly bolted up.
    No, I don't have rear discs and I can't run a normal dual exhaust (over the axle). But for my use all of that was just fine. My 17x8 tri-bar style 4 lug wheels fit just great.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

1986 Capri along with 1986-1998 Mustang get you the 8.8 housing your are after. All of your brake and axle parts from your 7.5 will transfer directly to your 8.8, or as others have mentioned you can upgrade to disc.

North Racecars has a 87-88 Tbird / 1993 Cobra street car based 4 lug rear disk kit option available, although getting pads and rotors and calipers is starting to get interesting. If you want 4 lug that is the best option.

There's a lot of info on options in the 4 lug brake upgrade thread and also in the 5 lug upgrade thread.

Good luck!