Close

Thread: roof waves

Default roof waves

hi everyone, i have been working on my 85 mustang gt today when i noticed some waves just above the roof rail molding on both sides. the drivers being a bit worse then pass. i know at some point it was in some kind of fender bender or something. but seeing the waves has me a bit more concerned cuz now im thinking it was a harder hit to cause that. it was at a body shop last year and they said the front end in front of the strut towers was only off by millimeters. I never noticed the roof til today. Now im wondering if its worth fixing or not. Has anyone had this issue before? thanks in advance

FEP Senior Member

about 30 years ago i saw some 5.0 mustangs with waves in the roof along with cracked windshields. they were basicly high horsepower with out the proper bracing. today it could be the unibody is rusting and does not have the strength to hold it from flexing. i would star by looking at the underneath. with no pictures and description of the car this is the best i can do.

I’ll take a few pics later today. The car is basically stock other than a full exhaust from headers back, Weiand stealth intake and an 8.8 rear ended with 3.73. It’s a southern car so it’s pretty much rust free.

For sure looks like a hard hit to buckle the roof. Although that roof might be a bit weaker because of the sunroof. I would say it would be worth fixing if the rest of the car is in good shape.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Yea I think I’m gonna fix it. It’s a southern car so very little rust. I never even noticed the roof til I was just leaning on the hatch waiting for my dad to stop by and that’s when I saw it, I was like wtf!. The car was at a body shop and they did say the front end could use a pull but it’s not bad. They said it’s in front of the strut towers. Hopefully I don’t need to put a roof skin on it.

FEP Senior Member

Being honest that doesn't look like it's related to a front end accident. It looks something on its own. It could been something that fell on it.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Quote Originally Posted by Killingcivics View Post
    Being honest that doesn't look like it's related to a front end accident. It looks something on its own. It could been something that fell on it.
    I agree... Looks like something fell off a shelf and landed between the car and a wall or something. Love to know what really happened!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Yea I’ve been racking my brain thinking about it all week. I’ve had this car for 19 years in the garage believe it or not, and last summer I told myself I can’t wait any longer and I’ve been working on it since. Last Sunday was the first time I drove it in probably 18 years and it was really nice to drive it, but I saw the roof the same day and started wondering if it was from a front end collision. I started freaking out a bit lol. But I’m gonna continue with the project cuz I’d like to save it. It seems foxes are becoming harder to found nowadays.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1985moneypit View Post
    Yea I’ve been racking my brain thinking about it all week. I’ve had this car for 19 years in the garage believe it or not, and last summer I told myself I can’t wait any longer and I’ve been working on it since. Last Sunday was the first time I drove it in probably 18 years and it was really nice to drive it, but I saw the roof the same day and started wondering if it was from a front end collision. I started freaking out a bit lol. But I’m gonna continue with the project cuz I’d like to save it. It seems foxes are becoming harder to found nowadays.
    Look at your door gaps, fenders should tell more
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Pass door gaps look good to me, pass fender could probably use adjustment. Drivers door pins are worn and no bushing on striker so maybe after I get that fixed I’ll have a better idea about that door. Driver fender gap a bit tight to door though.

FEP Senior Member

it the car tracks good, and it is to be a driver( no race car speeds). since the shop says it is close (?) i would brace it. you will be amazed at the difference. when i would jack the front end up the car would always bend (doors to front fender) . after adding the MM chassis bracing it does not bend.

As far as I can tell it tracks straight. I have full length subframe connectors I planned on putting in and I also was considering thru the floor frame connectors. Read good things about those. I do plan on having the front pulled straight most likely over the winter. The plan for the car was to be a street car with the occasional trip to the drag strip.