Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Uhhhgg Decided to try removing the tie rods instead as I need to replace them anyway. No leaks of any kind under boots so rack is still good. With them removed I have access to passenger side control arm front bolt but the drivers side is still blocked like a 1/8th inch by the steering rack body. If I can find a really shallow socket I can make it work without removing rack( which I don’t particularly want to mess with) not confident at all LOl
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Ok, going to get started, but wanted to know. What’s the best place to put the jack under the control arm? Right under ball joint or under spring perch?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Ok, going to get started, but wanted to know. What’s the best place to put the jack under the control arm? Right under ball joint or under spring perch?
    I tend to go father out.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    I tend to go father out.
    ok, I put it right under ball joint. Got everything removed now just need to lower jack.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Ok so I lowered it but it’s obviously hung up by the bushings even though I loosened the bolts. Not sure what to do
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Ok so I lowered it but it’s obviously hung up by the bushings even though I loosened the bolts. Not sure what to do
    You can place the jack back under the ball joint are to support the front control arm. Then you an try using a pry bar to pry the K member mounting location open more to allow the control arm to rotate down. When you tighten the lower control arm bolts the metal squeezes down on the control arm bushings and bits into the bushings.

The other option is to use a section of chain to anchor the spring to the K member or the lower control arm so it can't jump out once pressure is released. I will remove the nuts off the control arm bolts and then I will lower the jack all the way down and then use a long bar to press the lower control arm down to release the spring. Again you have to make sure you have the spring anchored for your protection. It will usually just pop once you get it down far enough, but it won't really jump out. Just be safe and stand off to the side usually by the door so if the springs some how jumps it will not hit you. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Here is how low I can get it.
    Name:  5FA0399B-AA13-4861-ACEF-BC757F422FD9.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  624.7 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Loosen the bolts more. The crush sleeves in the stock bushings have serrated teeth in the ends of them. These bite into the metal and keep the bushing from rotating.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

That will never work. Move the floor jack pad, so that it is under the spring pocket.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    That will never work. Move the floor jack pad, so that it is under the spring pocket.
    ok. So I have both bolt loosened till the nuts are flush with bolts. I can lower jack all the way to bottom but the arm hangs up still. I can put prybar in between k member and arm and move it side to side.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Here is how low it will go
    Name:  9A14BF83-CFF8-405E-B4CD-51BEE0AEAA4D.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  431.1 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Got it!! Just took some prying of the spring and she popped out. Scared the crap out of me and I might of pooped a little lol. Thanks guys for all the help your all awesome!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Remove the handle from the floor jack. Place the tip of it on the FCA where the spring meets the spring pocket, near the ball joint. Stand in front of the car. You can do this while leaning over the bumper cover. Push down on the jack handle, to force the FCA downwards to the floor. The spring will pop out. When it does, you will be surprised at what a nonevent it was
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Remove the handle from the floor jack. Place the tip of it on the FCA where the spring meets the spring pocket, near the ball joint. Stand in front of the car. You can do this while leaning over the bumper cover. Push down on the jack handle, to force the FCA downwards to the floor. The spring will pop out. When it does, you will be surprised at what a nonevent it was
    Well I can tell you this. For someone who is not a seasoned mechanic and doing this for the first time it was a pretty big event to me.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Got both sides out and removed control arms. Bolts did not give me near the trouble I thought they would. Thanks all!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12