Close

Thread: Headlights

Default Headlights

Fighting an issue on my 85 GT Saleen clone car

The head lights will turn on if you flash them by pulling back on the dimmer switch but they will not turn on with the headlight switch

When Trey and I last discussed it we thought it was the dimmer/turn signal switch on the column. I swapped in a new one last night and the lights still do not work with the headlight switch

Since the car is a GT and it is a Saleen clone we put an LX front bumper on it and eliminated the fog lights.

Im also battling an issue where the horn does not work and an issue where the engine does not crank with the key when the clutch disengaged. Those seem unrelated but I’m not sure

I’m about ready to tear the dash out and the front fascia off and source a full harness from prestige mustang. This car doesn’t have to be perfect but it needs to be right

All of the grounds are solidly connected - most are new. Battery to block and block to firewall are firmly in place. Light grounds are connected, etc

I thought about putting a new light switch in too but if I get one should I do one with or without the accessory light group given the removal of the fog lamps

Mainly looking for some ideas. I just about kicked the bucket from Covid and I’ve been very slowly battling back since January and I’m really hoping to be able to get some enjoyment out of this car for the 1000’s of hours and dollars invested.

Thanks in advance

The thing with the light switches ….. the car only had 14K miles when we blew it apart. It is not like either of the light switches should even have any noticeable wear yet

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Beuler? Beuler?

What did you have apart when you "blew it apart"?

Do the low-beams actually work? Are you getting power to that terminal on the connector? (There are 2 power connections on the outer lamp) Flashing the brights just turns on the hi-beam, not both filaments in the outer lamps.

What did you do to eliminate the fogs? I don't have an '85 wiring diagram in front of me, but the fogs aren't allowed to come on unless the lo-beams are on. That signal wire is usually run through a relay off of the lo-beam circuit. Perhaps you removed something when you got rid of the fogs?

The horn just could be a bad connection.

Don't these have a clutch switch in them? Most likely you have to be pushing the clutch in to start the car.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

This is the “1985-006” Saleen clone build car

That thread shows that the entire car was fully disassembled down to the bare shell

Pulling back on the dimmer should light both low and high on the outer lights and the single element on the inner. It seems like that is what it does looking at it

I’ll have to grab the lights and wiring that was pulled - the accessory light group is pretty well modular. Stupid FEP has not let me post any pictures in over a year

but come to think of it the head light switch may not be plugged in properly— maybe? I’ll have to inspect that

the clutch pedal depressed will not let it crank. Found a switch with pigtail and nothing to plug it into ….. that’s what I think the root of the problem is
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-13-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Back in the late 80’s, I hopped in my 83 GT and fired it up to head home one evening after work. Pulled the headlight switch out and….nothing. I ended up driving the whole way home while keeping the turn signal stalk pulled back, as the headlights did work if I was engaging the flash to pass. Car had maybe 30K miles on it. Switch just went out. Inspection of it showed no reason but swapping in a replacement fixed the problem.
    Last edited by Foxy 83.5; 03-16-2022 at 05:14 AM.

Check the ignition switch while you've got things apart. I don't believe the headlights go through it but maybe in combo with the flash to pass???

steve

Might want to pick up a wiring diagram for your car
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I’ve got the diagram but it is never fun to try to read

I may thrown in a headlight switch as my next step even though the one in there is mega low miles

You should be able to test the switch with a meter/test light. If you have power going through the switch and the fuse, then your problem lies further down the line. Keep in mind that headlight switch should be hot at all times, if you have no power to the switch, your problem lies further up the line.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Is the headlight flash when you pull back on the dimmer coming from the same place or is it a different power source

Did you have a bulb outage display in this thing? Did you remove it?

I don't have a good wiring diagram of the Mustang headlight system, but it looks like the high beams are on a separate fused circuit and power through to the headlights is on a fusible link.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 03-18-2022 at 10:39 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Supporter

From the 85 EVTM

Name:  85 evtm headlights.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  184.2 KB
    '85 GT

What kind of bulbs are you running? When I put the Hella bulbs and housings in my Saleen I want to say the headlights did a similar thing. It was not till I read that I had to repin the wires in the connector to match the bulb. Once I did that, everything worked as it should.

I know the headlight switches are different between the GT and LX cars due to the fog lights. With that being said. do the headlights need the fog light switch installed in order to complete the circuit so to speak? I wouldn't think so but I am just throwing that out there as I do not know. Hope you figure it out.....
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179