Close

Default V6 2.8L to euro Type 9 5 speed gearbox conversion solutions ?

Hello,

I may be getting a Fox with a 2.8L V6 soon, I have fond memories of my 79 Mustang Ghia V6, but I can't say the 3 speed auto was its strong point in terms of fun factor.
    I'm considering swapping it with a european 5 speed Type 9 transmission from a Sierra, or maybe a four speed Type E (I already have one from a 2.3 Mustang, they're essentially the same with one less gear).

The main question is, which is the proper bellhousing to get for this transmission that would make the conversion as easy as possible ?
    Which is the adequate clutch ? Would a Type E clutch work ?
    Also, is the Sierra V6 Type 9 the proper length and is it compatible with the Fox driveshaft. Maybe I can swap the tail section with the Mustang Type E one to easy the compatibility ?

If you have any other information for the potential swap, let me know.

Thanks

I think only a few members have even spent any time with the Cologne V6's.

The 2.8 and the 2.9 share a bellhousing pattern, and seeing that you're in the EU, you should have an easier time finding a Type 9 from a V6 Sierra, or the like.

In the US, the '79 2.8 V6 cars got the 4psd SROD transmission, which has a different transmission bolt pattern than the Type 9 (or the T5).

You might get lucky on being able to use the existing Fox driveshaft, but you may have to do some sort of conversion U-joint or yoke on the front of it. Not the end of the world, regardless.

On the clutch/flywheel. You should be OK to use the Sierra V6 stuff. It should have plenty of holding power, unless you get too crazy.

The only issue I see with using the Sierra bell/trans in the Fox *might* be the shifter location.

WAAAAAAY back when I was still messing with Merkurs, I was working on a T5 manual transmission swap into my '87 Scorpio (Granada in the EU) with the 2.9 V6. I had assembled a bellhousing from a 2.8L Mustang II, a T5 transmission from a TurboCoupe, a flywheel from a Ranger with a 2.9, and a clutch from a 2.3T 4 cyl. (Never had it on the road). The issue I ran into was the shifter was way forward and needed to be moved back a couple inches to put the shifter in the proper spot. I built an adapter for it.
    It's possible that if you use the Sierra parts, you might find the shifter is a bit too far back, so I would take some measurements from the engine/bellhousing mating location back to the shifter hole in the tunnel to see what kind of range you have to work with. The T9 shifter isn't really that big, so you might be OK.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon