Close

FEP Power Member

Default Anyone else had this headlight problem?

The lights on the right side are all very dim. I think the headlight bulb itself is half burnt out causing problems with the rest. When I pull out the headlight bulb the rest of the bulbs go out on that side. Also in the cluster the arrow for the right side turn signal is always lit up, very dim though. The turn signals all still work they just blink slowly. All parking lights still light up on that side also but pretty dim. Anyone else ever had this problem. This would be the first time i've had to replace a bulb so if this is normal and a dumb question then thats why I didn't know.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

You have a bad ground wire somewhere.

Since the ground is bad, the juice is trying to get to ground anyway it can. This ends up being through the headlight and the turn signal indicator.

The headlight seems to be the best path to ground, that's why the lights go out when you remove it.

The turn signal flashers work on a heated bar controled by current. If you have a bad ground, not as much current will flow, thus the lights will blink slower.

This is not normal for a bulb failure. It indicates a likely broken/corroded wire somewhere.

So I think I know the why but I don't know the where. Maybe somebody else can tell you the most likely places to start looking. You say bulbs go out when you pull the headlight. I would get a multimeter and determine the negative wire that attaches to the light/lights that go out and start tracing to where it attaches.
    '86 GT 13.49 @ 104
    '83 Tbird TC 17.75 @ 78
    '05 Five Hundred AWD 16.95 @ 88

Check your fuses first, my firebird had the same problem, just a blown fuse in the end....
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

my 83 did the exact same thing about 3 months ago. I had to replace the ground wire from the headlight, it goes in the back of the headlight, and grounds on the radiator support frame right behind the headlight. (it'll be the wire held in the the, *i think* 7/16 bolt)
    When I put the new wire in the problem went away, and my lights were back to normal.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

FEP Power Member

Good call guys. My first thought was that I had a ground problem but at first glance I didn't find anything wrong. The headlight bulb appeared burnt up so I thought that might have been the problem. After your suggestions I went back in and me and my brother found the ground wire pulled from the connector. Put it all back together right and waaaaalaaaaa its working again. Also replace the bulb, lol. Thanks for the help guys!!!
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe