Close

Default Let's talk audio/electrical...

OK guys so here's the deal: my 85 Notch is a factory radio delete car. And I intend to leave it that way. I don't know that I want to get involved in adding an aftermarket stereo system for a variety of reasons.

That being said, I need to crank some tunes while I'm driving. So after doing a ton of research, I've decided to run a Bluetooth amp set up. I already installed a set of speakers in my car and now I'm at the point where I'm ready for the next step.

By running a Bluetooth amp under the passenger seat, I can play music via my iphone and keep everything hidden, which maintains the factory radio delete look.

So here's my question: it appears that many bluetooth amps have a 12 volt hook up. Rather than hard wire the amp which would require me contorting my 53 year old body under the dash, I was thinking I'd steal power from the cigarette lighter. This way I could just poke the power cord under the passenger seat when I'm not driving. Most cigarette lighters have a 15 amp fuse which is basically the same amperage as a factory style stereo. I found a male cigarette lighter set up which has an added fuse for protection so theoretically I'd be double fused to avoid burning anything up. Is this do-able or am I overthinking this??

I've read and heard that radio delete cars did come with the wire harness for a factory stereo but my car has been Terminator swapped and there is extra wiring under the dash and the last thing I want to do is go hunting around for a wire harness that may or may not even exist. All while trying to fit under the dash of a small car....ha ha this crap was a lot easier when I was in my 20's.

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

My 83 has the original am/fm radio, which works fine, but if I want to listen to anything else, I use a Monster Drift Bluetooth speaker and set it on the backseat and use pandora app on my phone. The Monster Drift sounds better than the factory radio does and will play all day before needing to be recharged!
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

Quote Originally Posted by GMW468 View Post
    So here's my question: it appears that many bluetooth amps have a 12 volt hook up. Rather than hard wire the amp which would require me contorting my 53 year old body under the dash, I was thinking I'd steal power from the cigarette lighter. This way I could just poke the power cord under the passenger seat when I'm not driving. Most cigarette lighters have a 15 amp fuse which is basically the same amperage as a factory style stereo. I found a male cigarette lighter set up which has an added fuse for protection so theoretically I'd be double fused to avoid burning anything up. Is this do-able or am I overthinking this??
    I can only say that I do HAM Radio and in my truck acc. hole (cig lighter) I run the power to it. I Have had zero issues with blowing fuses.

I recommend that you see what size the car harness fuse is and use a smaller fuse in your amp power cord. That way it would blow before anything would possibly hurt the car harness.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

I don't believe anyone can answer your question without knowing the specs of the amp. I can tell you that any amp that pushes enough power to sound decent will need its own dedicated power source...preferably straight from the battery.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I believe the fuse in question for your 1985 powers the Horn, Cigar Lighter, and Clock. I don't believe you have a clock with radio delete, so that helps. I also believe the rated fuse is 20 amps. Most likely could work, but I can't confirm either way. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller