Close

jonathan

Default brakeline help: Upgrade 85GT brakes/spindles to newer style.

The 85GT's have 4cyl style spindles, rotors and calipers and struts.

I'm gonna swap the spindles and brakes and everything to 89 style brakes... The brake line coming off the caliper, do I need a special adapter or anything when connecting it to the hardline at the chassis or will the newer flexible line bolt right up ?

When I did this ugrade on my old 83 i needed to get the brackets that mount the hose at the inner fender. Other than that the lines coneccted fine

gtluke

yeah everything will work okay, on mine i just wire died the line to the body because caprigt is right, you need the correct bracket. i diddn't have it so i just secured it there with a wire tie. no biggie.
    you can get your original struts to work if you want also. you just have to elongate the bottom hole a bit if its not already an oval. (depending on manufacturer of the strut) and add a few washers inside the strut on the bolt when you put it back together. some struts come with oval holes and a few washers so they work on 79-93 cars.
    thats how i did it on my car. this was YEARS ago and they are still holding up

jonathan

thanks for the speedy reply guys !

normally this would work but i'm using KYB adjustibles which are a little longer than most struts at the bottom, clearance issues between the spindle and the bottom of the strut.

it will take a lot of elongating to fix that up so i decided to swap the spindles and tiny brakes with larger ones.

on this car there is already a barcket, can I get by using this one ?

gtluke

yeah thats what i wired tied mine to. the stock bracket