Close

Default Radio opening is cracked/missing pieces

Picked this car up about a week ago, not sure if I am going to run a head unit or block off plate.
    Any suggestions on how to make this look better? The car is no creampuff and I’m not looking to restore it, but I would like to improve this eyesore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Garage
    1983 Mustang GLX convertible 5.0 5speed (father's) 9.42 @ 76mph (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed (project, mine) 9.05 @ 77.43mph (sold)
    ^^ 13 years later bought the 1985 back as of 02/04/22

FEP Supporter

There a few things in this thread and links in it that may give you some ideas.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-82-double-din

Many "radios" made today could hide most of that from the front with only a solid DIN hole to fit a radio mounting sleeve. I say that because several in the marketplace have a "tablet" like screen that comes out of single din chassis.

If I was going to go that route I'd start by hacking out that bottom portion so it's a straight edge. Then I'd go in there with 1/2" piece of MDF with a DIN hole cut into it, painted black and glued in from behind with eurathane. Finally, mount up one of those "tablet" radios and it's done.

Would it be perfect? No, but it would meet your needs. You'd have tunes and you wouldn't be looking at that hackery. lol
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    There a few things in this thread and links in it that may give you some ideas.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-82-double-din

Many "radios" made today could hide most of that from the front with only a solid DIN hole to fit a radio mounting sleeve. I say that because several in the marketplace have a "tablet" like screen that comes out of single din chassis.

If I was going to go that route I'd start by hacking out that bottom portion so it's a straight edge. Then I'd go in there with 1/2" piece of MDF with a DIN hole cut into it, painted black and glued in from behind with eurathane. Finally, mount up one of those "tablet" radios and it's done.

Would it be perfect? No, but it would meet your needs. You'd have tunes and you wouldn't be looking at that hackery. lol
    Thank you, not a bad plan. I've been up in the air whether or not I want to have a radio in this car. So far the stuff under the hood is keeping me busy enough that it may be a while before I get started on interior now.
    Garage
    1983 Mustang GLX convertible 5.0 5speed (father's) 9.42 @ 76mph (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed (project, mine) 9.05 @ 77.43mph (sold)
    ^^ 13 years later bought the 1985 back as of 02/04/22

I have an 85 Notch that was a radio delete car. But that won't do for me. I need tunes while I'm cruising.

I ordered an aftermarket radio through Crutchfield. The factory style radio installs from the rear but the Crutchfield unit installs through the front with a custom sleeve that allows you to fit it to your opening. I installed the whole system with new speakers in about 2-3 hours.

First song I played was Kickstart my Heart by Motley Crue

Well ….. perfect time to customize it some

Check out my 85 Saleen 006 build thread - Trey did some pretty sweet work