Close

Question EEC-IV, Duraspark, how to replace it all?

(edit: Oh apparently this was my first post. Hi all! Been reading for a while but I guess never posted.)

So I have this 1985 LX, that stared out life as a 2.3L, apparently (according to the VIN...). The previous owner converted this to a carburated 302 a long time ago, and also switched the mechanical for an electric fuel pump. This car was in bad shape when I bought it, and I'm slowly trying to bring it back to life. It's running now (yay!), but the engine bay wiring is such a rat's nest of dry-rotted, spliced, bare and disconnected wires, I'd love to just rip it all out and start over.

I've looked around, and saw that I have an EEC-IV (is that from the 2.3 or the 302? Or do they both use the same module?), a Duraspark module, a box that says IASF next to the duraspark module, and the stock ignition coil that contribute to the bulk of this wiring mess.

Is there a good way to replace all of this in one fell swoop? The MSD stuff looks promising, but I don't quite understand what e.g. the MSD 6AL would replace of the above, or how much of a hassle it would be to get the engine set up and running with it again.

Thanks in advance!
    (edit: Oh, I forgot to mention I already replaced the distributor, spark plug and wires with new ones. So *ideally* I'd love to not have to replace the distributor again for this new setup...)
    Last edited by HylanderUS; 02-13-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HylanderUS View Post
    (edit: Oh apparently this was my first post. Hi all! Been reading for a while but I guess never posted.)

So I have this 1985 LX, that stared out life as a 2.3L, apparently (according to the VIN...). The previous owner converted this to a carburated 302 a long time ago, and also switched the mechanical for an electric fuel pump. This car was in bad shape when I bought it, and I'm slowly trying to bring it back to life. It's running now (yay!), but the engine bay wiring is such a rat's nest of dry-rotted, spliced, bare and disconnected wires, I'd love to just rip it all out and start over.

I've looked around, and saw that I have an EEC-IV (is that from the 2.3 or the 302? Or do they both use the same module?), a Duraspark module, a box that says IASF next to the duraspark module, and the stock ignition coil that contribute to the bulk of this wiring mess.

Is there a good way to replace all of this in one fell swoop? The MSD stuff looks promising, but I don't quite understand what e.g. the MSD 6AL would replace of the above, or how much of a hassle it would be to get the engine set up and running with it again.

Thanks in advance!
    (edit: Oh, I forgot to mention I already replaced the distributor, spark plug and wires with new ones. So *ideally* I'd love to not have to replace the distributor again for this new setup...)
    You want to ditch everything except the duraspark ign system?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Senior Member

went down that road years ago. replaced the oem with jacobs ignition. in hindsight i should have left it stock. my real problem was the insulation was falling off , then were the wire was bare it would vibrate and strands would break. causing more problems. the solution for me was i went to a junk yard bought a wireing harness , so i had different colors and gauge wire. and started to replace and splice the engine wires. has been reliable for years. wished i had done that originally. there was nuthing wrong with the oem ignition and the jacobs system just cost me money.

I have the fuel injected model so my ignition is TFI but I did reach a point where the original distributor was just not reliable anymore (bearings etc). I replaced it with the appropriate 400 dollar MSD and have been very happy with it. If I were you, and I had a rats nest, I would probably go with a nice MSD setup and not look back. EECIV on a carbed car would be running stuff that I suspect you don't have anymore (strange carb stuff and secondary air and possibly egr etc).
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Thanks all. After doing a bit more reading last night, I'm gonna just cut open my wiring loom(s) and follow the lines to see what's connected and what not. The EEC-IV seems to mostly lead to unconnected harnesses or wires that just...end, so I'm guessing doing that exercise will clarify things for me a lot.

As for the ignition, the only thing I'm left wondering about is the voltage regulator:
    Can the MSD replace that, i.e. can I get rid of it once I go MSD? If so, then the MSD route would be preferred, because from what I understand that can also get rid of the Duraspec box if you get the Duraspec distributor adapter (right...?). However if not, I think I'd rather just get all new original parts (Duraspec, voltage reg and coil) and use/adapt to the original connectors.

Alright I have ordered a new duraspark, 3g alternator, voltage regulator, msd blaster 2 cool and a duraspec wiring harness from painless. I hope this all fits the way I'm thinking it should..

The Duraspark harness from Painless is not plug-and-play, but it isn't hard to figure out. Let me know if you get stuck I can try to help.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

I wouldn't trust just plugging it in with the Frankenstein you have so even if you have to track some wires for what you ordered, you will probably be good and accomplish the cleanup you were hoping for. You really don't want looms of wires under the hood you are afraid to touch because you don't know what they are for. After this you will know what the engine needs and you can then isolate the headlights/horn/turn signals/temp/oil and that should be it. The 3g conversion will force you to deal with the volt meter stuff.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Randy, I see you are up north of me a couple hours (Elmira). Interesting we both joined in oct of 2015 and have annis.

Does this look right (except wire colors), especially around that balance resistor area?

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-17 223256.png
Views: 110
Size:  205.0 KB