Close

Default Bought my old 85 GT back

So way back in 2008 when I was 17 my parents actually let me purchase a 1985 Mustang GT. I was super thrilled and that car ended up being my first project car. I drove it as much as possible, I fixed things as I could afford to and used it to “compete” against my dad’s 83 vert at our local test n tune. Well May of 09 I sold it to get something more reliable to use as daily transport for traveling and work purposes. I hadn’t seen the car in over 10 years then randomly it shows up at a local cars and coffee in fall of 2020, I tried to buy it once I found out the owner was considering selling. Last Friday we were able to make that happen. It has some upgrades I’m unfamiliar with, and the paint is pretty bad compared to back then, but for the most part its a solid base to start a project with my 10 year old daughter. Not 100% sure how to post pics from my phone yet, so here is a video for now of it idling.

https://youtu.be/OMYTwtyG3wk
    Garage
    1983 Mustang GLX convertible 5.0 5speed (father's) 9.42 @ 76mph (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed (project, mine) 9.05 @ 77.43mph (sold)
    ^^ 13 years later bought the 1985 back as of 02/04/22

Downloaded the tapatalk app, lets see if this works.
    Shortly after I brought the car home it puked its coolant out all over my garage floor, and the tires are in horrible shape. I have ordered a new upper radiator hose, thermostat, and thermostat housing for now, the other hoses looked like they have been more recently replaced. Hopefully I will be placing an order for new tires within the next 2 weeks.
    I might end up pulling the engine to reseal everything, not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Garage

Pretty cool you were able to get your old car back, congrats

Congrats on being able to reunite with it and bring it back home.

Also....those tires are SCARY.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I don't think your car puked, I think it peed from the excitement of coming back home. Glad to see you got your 1st car back and having your little one help in the project. I got my 82 GLX in 86 when I was 16 and glad I've never got rid of her. Have fun and good luck...

Awesome. Cool to get your old car back.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
    Pretty cool you were able to get your old car back, congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Congrats on being able to reunite with it and bring it back home.

Also....those tires are SCARY.
    Thank you.
    Yeah, those tires are off the car and waiting on the new ones to show up now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1982GLX View Post
    I don't think your car puked, I think it peed from the excitement of coming back home. Glad to see you got your 1st car back and having your little one help in the project. I got my 82 GLX in 86 when I was 16 and glad I've never got rid of her. Have fun and good luck...
    Lol, that’s a good way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Awesome. Cool to get your old car back.
    I’m excited
    Garage

Congrats on getting your old car back. That's a wish of quite a few people, I'd guess. Makes for a good back story to the car.

Small update on the project.
    New tires are on, all the hoses were replaced and then noticed more leaks so my daughter and I decided to remove the waterpump, timing chain cover and we will be replacing/ resealing all of that.

https://youtu.be/OX_p2xJ8ebk
    Garage

I think I would look at it, like you said you have all the front off and might as well ck it out. It was cool to see your daughter finally break the bolt loose, then she went right after that second one... Good luck..

Doing more wrenching. Front of the engine is back together, need to find an oil leak and went to replace my coolant temp gauge (its faulty) and came across a bit of bad wiring.

https://youtu.be/JE9z3gTKuKc

Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1982GLX View Post
    I think I would look at it, like you said you have all the front off and might as well ck it out. It was cool to see your daughter finally break the bolt loose, then she went right after that second one... Good luck..
    I ended up deciding not to pull the intake and go that far, that’s more of a winter project at this point.
    Thanks, she loves to help. I’ve had her help with basic vehicle maintenance and minor repairs over the last couple of years so she’s as excited as I am to work on this. Possibly more excited because she doesn’t have to pay for the parts

Garage

Back together. I actually got to drive it today!
    Going to have to take a break from spending money on it until after my family vacation in late April/early May, but just getting to drive it really amped up our excitement for this car!!

https://youtu.be/m1bTfs0iU0U

Garage

FEP Senior Member

Nice, keep up the good work.

Keep it going....

Got my car out Friday, has some sort of stumble/misfire now under 2k RPM when under a load, not sure what/why. Found an oil leak Saturday turned out to be the adapters for the mechanical oil pressure gauge. Also noticed the fuel pump is leaking externally so that will be getting replaced before it gets driven anymore.

Garage

This project has been on the back burner lately, with out of town off road weekends, vacations, overtime and the heat of summer I really haven’t felt like working on it much.
    My daughter and I did replace the rear wheel cylinders that were leaking.

https://youtu.be/S5FxggsNdUo

And I decided for the 4th of July to do a quick start up video!

https://youtube.com/shorts/TN5rPCdePOQ?feature=share

Garage

First driving video, I also talk about my up coming goals for this car! Both 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile goals, as well as how soon I plan to hit the track for my baseline numbers.

85 Mustang GT POV driving
    https://youtu.be/fsjFKFMwB_4

Garage

Lots of little updates since I last posted (sorry guys, been busy with other cars and OT last few months).
    Where to start…
    Well after I got it running halfway decent I decided to run some dragy times and see where it stands. Traction is a major issue (but what do you expect out of cheap tires and questionable front suspension that doesn’t weight transfer like it should)

Really I didn’t feel this was too terrible all things considered. I know from prior experience on a prepped surface I can get that 60ft down to 2.2 on these tires maybe a 2.1.
    I replaced the passenger side window motor and put in new dorman window switches (I don’t recommend those, they don’t like to stay attached). While I was replacing the window motor I found some bad wiring so I cleaned that up a bit.

Don’t have any after pics but trust me, it looks much better now and functions properly as well.
    I also did a small upgrade at the same time as the window motor, out of all the manual cars I’ve owned this is the first time I’ve ever changes shift knobs, always liked these but never done it until now!

Shortly after doing this small stuff I noticed my steering didn’t seem right, upon closer inspection I found my passenger side inner tie rod was bad. So I replaced inner and outer on that side (Everything is getting upgraded this winter, so I didn’t bother replacing things that weren’t a safety issue just to drive it another 500 miles before winter). Got the alignment close enough to finish out the season.

After getting the alignment close, I went down to the store to grab a 6pk, after getting the car back home I *may* have had a little fun in the garage with it.

So, I think that’s probably everything?

Here is a quick youtube link to the burnout, just for fun.

https://youtu.be/fsXm_qytanQ

Garage

HAHA, nice...

Small fix makes a big difference.
    Finally fixed my slow turn signal issue.

https://youtu.be/ig4n-Xe8kBg

Garage

I think I know what needs replaced next, the rear suspension is completely shot

I didn’t put these on here, they were on the car when I bought it. I’m probably going to put stock uppers on the car and adjustable MM lowers with new shocks/quads.
    Eventually I wouldn’t mind doing the torque arm and panhard bar set up, but that’s more than I want to spend at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on
    Garage