Close

Thread: Custom repaint

Default Custom repaint

Name:  IMG_0051.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  505.5 KB

I'm thinking of painting in the newer Ford Hot Pepper Red Metallic hue with Charcoal areas in Ford Magnetic Metallic as well as below the beltline. The theme is a little bit of a throwback to the Boss 351 with it's argent treatments. I'm still on the fence between a 331 and a stroked Cleveland.

Name:  aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2Fyc2Nvb3BzLmNvbS93cC1jb250ZW50L3VwbG9hZHMvd2VicC8yMDA5LzA4LzE5ODUtRm9yZC1NdXN0.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  59.5 KB

This file photo is the pattern, I think it was optional. Any of you out there know any background on the 2 tone lower paint optioning? To be redundant, I'm thinking of spraying Hot Chili Pepper Red Metallic with Magnetic Metallic below the beltline and all other Charcoal accent areas.
    Last edited by BossP351; 01-28-2022 at 06:48 AM.

Name:  Hot Pepper Red Ranger.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  183.1 KB

Here's the newer Ford Hot Pepper Red Metallic hue, I like the pop.

Name:  IMG_1716-1024x768.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  302.3 KB

Here's a Magnetic Mustang in the sun.

FEP Senior Member

Tough decisions. As for the engine, I have a 331 in my Pace Car and I am pleased with it. As for the FiTech, not so much. My 331 was a crate engine rated at 380 hp and ran 320 to the rear wheels on a dyno at our car show.

Not sure what you are asking for specifically. Obviously your car and you can paint it any color you want. I personally am not a red/bright red car kind of guy, so I would go a different route.

With that said, I know lots of new Bronco buyers are excited about the Hot Pepper Metallic color, although I am not sure I have seen it in person. From the pictures, again it's not my kind of color, but if you like it then go for it. The only word of caution on the Magnetic Gray is make sure it doesn't clash with the Red due to brown under tones. I haven't seen the Magnetic in person in awhile, but from what I remember it is similar in tone to the old Mineral Gray that had major brown tones in it. That works with some colors and clashes with others. I currently own a 2021 Bronco with the Carbonized Gray exterior and I love the color, that might be an option for what you are looking for if the Magnetic doesn't work.

Oh and if you are going to do a color change, then please do a honest full color change. That means all the jambs, seams, edges, and the engine bay. Don't spend the time and money and then go half way and don't do all the above. Make it look like it left the factory in those colors and people will be impressed even if they don't care for the colors. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

I'd say go for it! I'm a fan of both colors as I own a Ranger & Mustang in those colors.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Yeah, love the colors too..

FEP Power Member

The lower gray accent color was optional at least in 85 and 86. Looks like it was an option back in 79 in black on cars without a vinyl roof (Lower Tu-tone).
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

What heads are you running on the 331 and are you going with a carb now?

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    Tough decisions. As for the engine, I have a 331 in my Pace Car and I am pleased with it. As for the FiTech, not so much. My 331 was a crate engine rated at 380 hp and ran 320 to the rear wheels on a dyno at our car show.

I didn't put much thought in the thread title, I intend to just log the build here, it's been a long time in the making! I do plan on a major teardown and having it painted inside out and upside down all around. There was collision damage before I bought it with a failing clearcoat feathered edge on the drivers side door and fender now visible. It's in great shape corrosion wise with nothing visible(fingers crossed) prior to stripping. Since it's high mileage and not a special model I'm leaning towards a custom build.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Not sure what you are asking for specifically. Obviously your car and you can paint it any color you want. I personally am not a red/bright red car kind of guy, so I would go a different route.

With that said, I know lots of new Bronco buyers are excited about the Hot Pepper Metallic color, although I am not sure I have seen it in person. From the pictures, again it's not my kind of color, but if you like it then go for it. The only word of caution on the Magnetic Gray is make sure it doesn't clash with the Red due to brown under tones. I haven't seen the Magnetic in person in awhile, but from what I remember it is similar in tone to the old Mineral Gray that had major brown tones in it. That works with some colors and clashes with others. I currently own a 2021 Bronco with the Carbonized Gray exterior and I love the color, that might be an option for what you are looking for if the Magnetic doesn't work.

Oh and if you are going to do a color change, then please do a honest full color change. That means all the jambs, seams, edges, and the engine bay. Don't spend the time and money and then go half way and don't do all the above. Make it look like it left the factory in those colors and people will be impressed even if they don't care for the colors. Best of Luck!

Name:  IMG_0013.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  873.3 KB

Step 1 replace the howling 7.5 with a junkyard 8.8 build. Notice the flaking clearcoat on the fender.

Name:  IMG_0129.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  1.65 MB

Bombcan rebuild to be followed with 3.73 31 spline trac lok and 5 lug fox drum conversion

Name:  IMG_0266.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  769.0 KB

Picked up these SN95 Cobra(?) rims. I prefer the Mach 1 Magnums and Bullitts but will give these a shot. Bonus is they are easy to clean. I believe a tire size with these 17 x 8's of 245/45/17 was a good choice for clearance.
    Last edited by BossP351; 01-29-2022 at 05:32 AM.

FEP Power Member

One of my favorite wheels, you can easily run a 275/40 on the rear with those.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I just thought I'd chime in and describe how, after seeing the pics of the stand for your rear axle, I'm an idiot. All these years working on the ground or using jack stands and I could have just built be something like this lol! I like it!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Senior Member

I don’t like those wheels on your car. Totally unrelated, if your planning to sell them, please give me a call. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I just thought I'd chime in and describe how, after seeing the pics of the stand for your rear axle, I'm an idiot. All these years working on the ground or using jack stands and I could have just built be something like this lol! I like it!
    A bad back eventually intercedes with one's decision making.lol

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    I don’t like those wheels on your car. Totally unrelated, if your planning to sell them, please give me a call. LOL
    Your # is at the top of the list!

Name:  IMG_0285.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  107.4 KB

Picked up 95 knuckles at a wrecking yard
    Last edited by BossP351; 02-25-2022 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BossP351 View Post
    Name:  aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2Fyc2Nvb3BzLmNvbS93cC1jb250ZW50L3VwbG9hZHMvd2VicC8yMDA5LzA4LzE5ODUtRm9yZC1NdXN0.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  59.5 KB

This file photo is the pattern, I think it was optional. Any of you out there know any background on the 2 tone lower paint optioning? To be redundant, I'm thinking of spraying Hot Chili Pepper Red Metallic with Magnetic Metallic below the beltline and all other Charcoal accent areas.
    My 1983 was identical to this except it had T-Tops.