Close

Default Aluminum Driveshaft

86 GT convertible 5.0 w/gt40 heads

Just changed rear gear from 2.73 to 3.73 and getting high speed drivetrain vibrations.
    Checked tire balance,wheel run out and they are good.

I have read that the aluminum driveshaft is usuallly the solution.

I prefer the Ford motorsport one but they are currently are 10 week back order.

Does anyone have experience with the Summitt [h=Summit Racing SUM-790300 ? or anyother aftermarket ?]2[/h]Thanks

AWD Aerostar if you can find one at a wrecking yard. 96-97 IIRC
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

I would call Summit and see who manufactures their driveshaft for them. It could be a FRPP shaft

Good idea. I will check with them.

FEP Senior Member

i bought one years ago. mine has two different u joints. the one you posted both are the same. worked great . was also purchased to stop vibration.

bob85gt thanks, I ordered one yesterday and it scheduled for delivery Monday. ( My birthday)
    Will let everyone know how it works.

I had one custom made at the local drivetrain shop. Super high quality. A bit more than those mentioned prior, but you might check out a local shop if time is an issue, you don't want to lie in the mud at a boneyard, etc.
    I'd have to check my paperwork, but it was $500?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I went with a steel driveshaft, only because it is a smaller diameter and gives a little more room for exhaust. Made at a local driveshaft shop for cheap too.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Name:  IMG_6010.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  86.4 KB

Summit aluminum driveshaft works, great eliminated the vibration, and looks good too.

I have a Ford Racing shaft. The order said it is supposedly for foxes. I’ve never been able to install it !

It is around 3/4” too long for a foxbody

I plan to have it shortened and put it in my 86GT soon

The factory 86 shaft will get new u joints and refinished in satin black and rebalanced and go into another fox. I had to borrow one from a friend for my Saleen build because the shop was backed up too far.

always something with cars

If a new driveshaft fixes the issue it's probably due to the bushing in the trans output and the slider at the front of the driveshaft being worn. Take a set of calipers and measure the diameter of the nose of the driveshaft in 3 places, all the way at the front, in the middle and at the end against the u joint. I bet you find significant wear in the middle and some minor wear at the front. To really fix it you need to replace the bushing and the input to the driveshaft.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    I had one custom made at the local drivetrain shop. Super high quality. A bit more than those mentioned prior, but you might check out a local shop if time is an issue, you don't want to lie in the mud at a boneyard, etc.
    I'd have to check my paperwork, but it was $500?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Drive line specialities out on West 11th? They did a few drivelines for me too when I lived in Eugene..... Always good work..... Going to have to try a new place here in Tampa this time.....

i love the look of that aluminum shaft