Close

Default '83 4bbl leak at compression fitting

HI all,

I've got a fuel leak where the fuel line comes into the carb ..It appears to be the compression fitting. I've looked closely at the fitting and the "seat" in the carb and don't see any nicks or scratches. I've tightened the fitting real tight - afraid to tighten any more for fear of stripping the threads.

Anybody got idea(s) on how to get the goofy thing to stop leaking?

Thanks

The quickest, easiest and cheapest but not necessarily the safest way is to use a small amount of gas impermeable sealant om the threads.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

It's no less safe than other methods. It will either stop/slow the leak or it won't. It shouldn't be worse.

But even if it looks smooth, you might gently emery the sealing surfaces just to ensure smoothocity.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I had same leak years ago. I strongly recommend Gasoila sealant. Worked perfectly and hasn’t leaked a drop since. Available on Amazon and at home supply stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy 83.5 View Post
    I had same leak years ago. I strongly recommend Gasoila sealant. Worked perfectly and hasn’t leaked a drop since. Available on Amazon and at home supply stores.
    Hey Foxy,
    Before I read your post (THANKS), I tried some anti-seize compound on the threads. That allowed me to get the fitting tighter. I got it tight, then loosened it a bit, tightened again, loosened again, did that routine several times, each time getting the fitting a little tighter. No more leaks. If the goofy thing leaks again, I will try the Gasoila. Thanks again

That great! Gasoila has Teflon in it, so that’s probably part of why it worked for me. Glad to hear you solved your problem. Happy motoring!