Close

Default Tranny Tunnel Wire Harness Connector - 82 Mustang GT

Hi all, my first post to the forum so forgive me if I somehow put it in the wrong location. On a 82 Mustang GT that I'm in the process of helping to restore, there is a connector in the tunnel that apparently mates with the transmission and has the electrical connections for both the backup lights and for the safety neutral switch. I'm trying to find the mating male plug to wire up to a new gear shift I'm installing for a C4 transmission. Anyone know if they still make this and if so, where I can get it? Or someone have one laying around?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am not sure if anyone reproduces that specific harness right now. Does your C4 use this type of Neutral Safety/ Back Up Light connector https://www.ronfrancis.com/product/61 If so that is one option, but you will have to either cut off the OEM connector or find a matching one and splice that harness into it for it all to work. I can look through my wiring stash. I might have one that will work, just not sure about the switch on a C4. Any Foxes I have had all had the AOD, so I don't have any reference to what you need.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The switches are on my new shifter, so not sure if tranny matters. Just trying to find a matching male connector and then wire the wires up to the switches on my new shifter. Agree another option could be to just lop off the old connector and splice on something like the one from ron francis.

Ok, I guess I need more clarity as to what exactly you are looking for. The transmission can make a difference on the male side of the plug IIRC. I might be wrong, but I want to say that the manual is missing a wire, but again been awhile since I looked at one.

If all you want/need is the male side of the plug, then I probably have one that will work. Ford does use the same connectors at times and that one I believe is very similar to the Dura Spark/Distributor connectors. Have to verify the tabs are in the same location, etc. but are often very similar.

If you are looking for a plug and play with an OEM type transmission, that's a bit different. That's why I asked if you need the same switch connector as the AOD.

If you are installing an aftermarket shifter with the Neutral Safety and Back Up lights switches on the shifter assembly and not on the transmission, then I would say just cut off the connector and splice in as needed.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yes, I thought about just direct wiring but was thinking it might be handy in future to have a quick disconnect. I'll have to look as well, but agree it looks suspiciously like the Dura Spark/Distributor connectors.

And yes, it is an aftermarket shifter (B&M Sport Shifter), where the Neutral Safety and Back Up light switches are on the shifter assembly and not on the transmission. Thanks for your reply!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-15-2022 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Text Color

Quote Originally Posted by 6trs View Post
    Yes, I thought about just direct wiring but was thinking it might be handy in future to have a quick disconnect. I'll have to look as well, but agree it looks suspiciously like the Dura Spark/Distributor connectors.
    I'd have to double-check but pretty sure the two connectors (dura spark/trans harness) are very similar if not the same.

I ended up cutting the stock plug off, and using a 4-terminal weatherpack connector there, to have a disconnect there.
    Last edited by massacre; 01-15-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks. Just ordered a 4-terminal weatherpack. Agree its easier just to replace.