Close

Question Speedo Doesn't Move

Hey everyone,

I'll keep this post short and straight to the point.

Roughly a month ago I had installed LED gauge cluster lights from Scott Drake and had to unplug everything on the back of the clsuter to take it out of the car to install new bulbs and remove those red filters for the old bulbs.

Anyways, I basically had to remove the speedo cable to take the cluster out, however after reinstallation the car hadn't moved due to the weather and I don't have my license yet. After my dad and I had fixed some engine and electrical problems we were having i decided to go out and check on the engine and let it warm up a bit to see if she was still smooth, it infact idled very smoothly and got up to temp quick after I installed a new 195 degree thermostat.

I decided to pull it out to the driveway to let it idle and as to not stink up the garage (no cats lol). While reversing I realized that the speedo needle didn't as much as twitch and I found that very odd. In an effort to make it move I hastily drove back up the driveway and into the garage to try and solve whatever issue I seem to be having with the speedo.

I honestly have no idea where to start with this fix as I really am just some kid with a fox and am not familiar with these cars like some of the vets on here. I do know that the speedo and odometer are linked and that they are soley mechanical and don't really have any electrical components to them so I'm just wondering where to start with this.

All help is appreciated and thanks in advance

It's possible you didn't get the speedometer cable fully seated into the back of the cluster when you put it all back together.

First place to start.

(This is assuming that it worked previously and it didn't register anything when you drove it back into the garage)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    It's possible you didn't get the speedometer cable fully seated into the back of the cluster when you put it all back together.

First place to start.

(This is assuming that it worked previously and it didn't register anything when you drove it back into the garage)
    I'll make sure to go double check the connection for sure just won't be able to today because I'm really busy but I'll be sure to get to it tomorrow if I find time. I was reading that I can disconnect the cable at the tranny and spin it with a drill to see the speedometer move so I was gonna try that. I'm thinking that there might be an issue with that little white square shaped piece being rounded out sort of and now its not making contact with the gear in the clsuter.

I'll be sure to check all connections though, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_4_Eye View Post
    I'll make sure to go double check the connection for sure just won't be able to today because I'm really busy but I'll be sure to get to it tomorrow if I find time. I was reading that I can disconnect the cable at the tranny and spin it with a drill to see the speedometer move so I was gonna try that. I'm thinking that there might be an issue with that little white square shaped piece being rounded out sort of and now its not making contact with the gear in the clsuter.

I'll be sure to check all connections though, thank you very much!
    Being a younger fellow based upon some of your previous posts, I would bet you can check the speedo connection at the cluster quicker and easier than at the transmission. Move the seat as far back as it will go. Kneel down next to the open driver's door, reach under the dash with your right hand going just the passenger side of the steering column. Feel for the cable coming through the firewall and follow to the cluster. Push the cable towards the cluster slightly, if it was not latched in you may hear a slight click. Lightly pull on the cable and it should not move towards the firewall. If the cable pulls away from the cluster, try repeating the steps again to seat the cable. If the cable appears to be latched and connected. Try driving the car again and see if you have a speedometer reading. If not, then try the cable at the transmission to verify if the cable is good. Hope that helps and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Being a younger fellow based upon some of your previous posts, I would bet you can check the speedo connection at the cluster quicker and easier than at the transmission. Move the seat as far back as it will go. Kneel down next to the open driver's door, reach under the dash with your right hand going just the passenger side of the steering column. Feel for the cable coming through the firewall and follow to the cluster. Push the cable towards the cluster slightly, if it was not latched in you may hear a slight click. Lightly pull on the cable and it should not move towards the firewall. If the cable pulls away from the cluster, try repeating the steps again to seat the cable. If the cable appears to be latched and connected. Try driving the car again and see if you have a speedometer reading. If not, then try the cable at the transmission to verify if the cable is good. Hope that helps and good luck!
    This. Seeing as you had it disconnected at the cluster, I'd start there. It's just extra work to disconnect the OTHER end to see if you need to mess with the end you originally started with.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The speedo cable can be a lil tricky to fully seat in there. youll hear is click when it fully seats.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have no idea why I didn't think to start with this originally... I will defintitely check that tonight after work and make sure its connected. I think I had pushed it in enough but I'm always so nervous to break the brittle plastics that sometimes I don't think I push on it hard enough. Thanks!

The cable is sorta square, so it has to align just right, into the cluster to snap all the way in. Sometimes it helps to spin the speedo back mounting area to align.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

As an aside to anyone who has their gauge cluster out of the car.

That is the time to pull the cable (inside cable) and clean, inspect and apply some re-lube. After 40+ years the cable can really use it and it will tend to fix any bouncing or sticking speedometers.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    As an aside to anyone who has their gauge cluster out of the car.

That is the time to pull the cable (inside cable) and clean, inspect and apply some re-lube. After 40+ years the cable can really use it and it will tend to fix any bouncing or sticking speedometers.
    I'll make sure to do this when checking the connection to the back of the cluster! Anything else to look for when having the dash and cluster out? I just want to make sure I cover all the bases to keep the car runnin in tip top condition.